Marley's first visit to the vet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mochii

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
Hi :)

It's been awhile since I came by. Marley is now almost 6 months, and he just went to the vet for the first time about two days ago. Before I say anything, he is okay and healthy :)

I went to the vet because he had passed some very hard white balls while peeing. I was afraid that it may be bladder stones. I don't know what I would ahve done if Marley did have a build up of bladder stones inside of him, but I had to know if he did or not. He passed it down quite a lot, and I changed stuff to his diet and settings. The first few were the largest and they became smaller as time passed by. I was still concerned because it didn't stop, so I thought maybe there was a big one inside of him, and it's breaking down slowly. So this led to Marley's first visit to the vet :)

I went to Dr. Jenkins iN San Diego (the hospital is called "Avian and Exotic Animal Hospital". Marley is healthy as he sees him (I think he's healthy too! :D). He eats well, looks bright, eyes clear, and very active. He did tell us that Marley's shell was a bit soft and he was a little small for his age. He advised us on what to do, and as for bladder stones... Marley took xrays! HAHAH it was the cutest thing ever. And costly too. There was nothing inside of him (YAY!). If there was, he would have to cut his shell open to take the stone out. It would've been painful for mylittle one :(

He was adored by the staff there :) And was noted on how active and not shy he was. They had to tape him down while taking xrays because he wouldn't stop moving! :p

Anyways, so yes, that is the update on Marley. :) Just wanted to share my first time experience at a vet for Marley. THe doctor had some desert tortoises that hatched in October, and they were SO adorable! It was pretty neat. haha

- M&M.

M

Maggie Cummings

So did the Vet tell you that Marley is not drinking enough? That's what it sounds like to me. I have several small rescues with me now and I think they are about 6 months old and I soak them every other day. When they pee their urine is clear without urates.
Bob does have urates, and he drinks from his water dish pretty regularly. You didn't ask but I would suggest you soak him more often and keep a dish of fresh water available to him so he can drink when he wants.

On a side note be proud of yourself that he is so well socialized that he wasn't afraid of the strangers and kept his head out watching what was going on. Good job!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
It is always a huge relief to animal keepers when their pets don't totally freak out at the vet's office. It totally detracts from the "healing mission" of the vet to have a super stressed animal AND a stressed-out owner! :rolleyes:

I'll bet Marley was quite the cutie and they loved having him there, because as we TFO members all know, tortoises are hands-down the most intriguing animals to watch and "read". ;)

Mochii

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
We do soak him everyday and have been keeping him in there longer than usual after we saw the solid. :) He has a water bowl in the enclosure as well. The substrate is also kept moist and humid. I've done my research after I first saw the solids, so maybe thats why the solids didn't continue to build up in Marley.

The visit itself was 45 dollars, and the xray was 145. I paid 190 in total. I was pretty sad, but it would have been more costly if Marley did have something inside of him, so I'm also pretty relieved. :)

- M&M.

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
I am so glad Marley is okay-- Did you get to keep the x-ray?-- That would be cool to show people what Marley looks like under the shell!!!!

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
I'm glad your "first" vet visit was a good one. Morty's first visit was a breeze --- and a year later because of a cloacal prolapse -- the cost started to add up--- CAT scan= $400
anitbiotics and stool softeners= $150 total
multiple office visits= $200 total
STRESS and Worry = unimaginable cost
But, after 2 1/2 months---- no more prolapse and Morty is back to her "HAPPY" self[ and so am I].

Status
Not open for further replies.