Annual Check up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mochii

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
So Marley hasn't been to a vet yet. He's not sick or anything, but I remember reading threads saying that I should go for a vet checkup. How much do they run usually? And are they just checking for parasites?

I see two listings for San Diego... is there a better vet for tortoises? One of them seem to specialize in birds and the other is overall.

Thanks. :) Marley is now about 3 months! Crazy.

- M&M.

Homer

5 Year Member
I have already taken Homer in to the vet and I have had him for a month. I think it is good to have a solid starting point. Plus, from what I understand, parasites are very common and should be caught early.

It costs me $60 dollars and included an extended physical exam, a fecal exam, and a warm water enema.

I dropped Homer off, so I did not witness the enema procedure which is just as well. Talk about a fresh start............:p

Brian

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
M&M-$50 plus $15 for a fecal test for us (medications were about $20-30 the two times he needed them). My vet checked my tort's general health, growth pattern (I brought his SCL and weight chart), shell health, heat beat, internal temperature, and asked about my husbandry. I think the general visit is a good one-time thing, but if you can afford to do it on a yearly basis that is awesome. The fecal test is very important to do on a regular basis in my opinion.

Shelly-How do you know a tortoise does not have parasites without a fecal float test? Many tortoises (including my own, twice) do not show symptoms until parasites are disgustingly out of hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.