Marley's new enclosure :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mochii

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
Hello

Marley has new additions to his enclosure! I know that they don't like changes but it seemed essential. As I discussed in my other threads, Marley seemed to be pretty bored with his surroundings. He kept trying to climb up on the corners and "escape". This resulted in him flipping over quite often, and he couldn't get up on his own. We were concerned about him being flipped over for a long period of time so we made changes. There were several suggestions given to these problems. [Thank you!!]

First, we added stones/pebbles around his enclosure to help him get up if he falls down. We haven't seen him do this yet.. he fell asleep after walking around the table while we were changing his enclosure. But hopefully, it will give him the support that he needs when he flips!

And we also added fake plants. We thought about getting live ones but decided to go with the fake ones. We bought them at Michael's (it was in one of the suggestions). The material is hard to cut off so I'm not too worried about Marley eating them. We created a shade sort of thing for him on the corners. We also placed stone/pebble on the corners in case he attempts to climb again. We're pretty satisfied as of now to how the enclosure came out.

Marley also got a new hide/bridge. Sigh, we wanted this for awhile but it was a bit pricey. We ended up buying it because it seemed to be perfect (in our minds) for Marley. As of now, he seems to like it! He hid under it right away and sort of burrowed when he got in. He also got a new water dish! And stones were added into these as well to help him get up if he falls. We checked to see that he could climb in and out of the bowl on his own :)

These all mean nothing without pictures! :p

The cool side with plants on the corners.

The hot side with water bowl and new bridge/hide (ooh maybe even good for basking!)

The entire view.

Marley under his new hide. I'm sort of sad I can't see him all the time :( but I guess he needs his privacy.

Another shot

Now all we need is his food dish. We like the idea of the block tile so we will probably get it when we go in to buy play sand. His substrate needs to be changed soon too :) I used reptisand/bed-a-beast but I want to try the play sand/bed-a-beast on the next one to see how that works out.

Anyways, that's all. Suggestions, comments, critiques are all welcome. And thanks for all the help provided for my problems !

- M&M

PS: Marley's going to be 3 weeks old tomorrow! I can't believe he's already 3 weeks old.. he was only 3 days old when I got him! Time flies. haha

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Mochii, Marley's enclosure is looking LOVELY !!!! Kudos to you for making the changes to keep him happy and safe :) I am sure he'll love it!!!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Really nice, I like it :) I am sure Marley is very happy in his new home :D
I was wondering, is there a reason you put magazine pages all around his enclosure?

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
I was wondering about the magazines myself. The photo of the bearded man kinda shocked me. :D LOL. Maybe he's keeping Marley company! LOL

Mochii

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Oh hahah we taped up magazines together and placed it into the enclosure first. So it's sort of "cup-ing" the substrate. It was just something we thought of in preparation for cleaning his enclosure. :p

We talk about if it scares Marley too :p

Thanks! I checked him in the morning but he was still sleeping. Hopefully when I come back, he'll be out, exploring and happy :D

- M&M

chadk

10 Year Member!
I have a feeling that if the substrate is as moist as it should be kept, then the magazine, or any paper product will get wet, break down, and possibly even mold.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Mochii, newspapers can be used but it is suggested not to use the color photos. It has to do with the ink or so I've heard. What mixture are you using of sand/bed-a-beast there looks like quite a bit of sand in Marleys enclosure. Try a 70% bead a beast-30% play sand and mix really well. Good work on the upgrades for Marley. :)

Mochii

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Oh okay. :) Thanks, changes will be made soon.

I felt like it was too much sand. I'll put in more bed-a-beast next itme. I thought I put in 70/30 ratio but I guess not.

Thanks!

- M&M

Mochii

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
It was a storage box, not a bookcase, from IKEA (15 bucks!) :D but we didn't seal anything because there weren't any holes on the bottom. We were concerned about substrate possibly going into the tiny holes but because we used the magazines, we didn't worry too much about it.

- M&M

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Maybe some type of rummer, plastic, or vinyl liner would be more permanent and not breakdown would be easier so you don't have to change it?

Mochii

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah we read about that also in one of the topics. We'll be changing it soon, and probably use something like vinyl liner. :) thanks.

- M&M

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...Great enclosure and beautiful tortoise. It is good that you are going to use play sand instead of the calcium sand. The calcium sand has a history of causing impaction in youngsters. They lick it to get the calcium out & take in too much sand, causing the impaction.
Did you have a damp hide for him? He needs a humid place to simulate their tunnel in nature that they have urinated in to make it humid.

Good luck.
Patsy

Mochii

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
He's currently off of the substrate because of his fungus on his shell :( but he's still eating well and active. He'll probably come off the paper towel by end of this week or next week. :) Yay! But he seems happy, thanks!

For the sand part in coir/sand mix, what kind of play sand is good? I've been looking around and is crystalline silica sand okay? I read that it's bad for kids (or humans) if used but it's still considered play sand.

Thanks

- M&M

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Well generally if its not safe for kids it most probably isn't safe for you tort! So I would advise against that sand... But I don't have to deal with sand so I really don't know what to recommend you... maybe search the forum because I know lots of other people have had sand discussions. Hope everything works out and your tort gets better!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I would use a sand that is for kids (cleaned and strained) and has the largest particles you can find. The sand has "play sand" on the bag at home improvement stores. About $4 for a 50 lb bag.

M

Maggie Cummings

You can buy a cheap shower curtain liner to use and staple it in place. That's what I used for my tort tables and it's been a few years and they are still in place...

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
If it is play sand I believe washing is not necessary. That would be such a pain! They wash and strain it for you, so it's optional. Another reason to buy this type.

A more expensive option is shower pan liner (sold by the foot on a roll at home improvement stores). It's very very thick though. Use a staple gun. Pond liner also works but is sold seasonally in most areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.