Close chamber enclosures for redfoot torts

Otto0809

Location (City and/or State)
Katy, TX
Hi there
Until what age do you keep a redfoot in a close chamber enclosure?
I know hatchlings need it.
Thank you in advance..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi there
Until what age do you keep a redfoot in a close chamber enclosure?
I know hatchlings need it.
Thank you in advance..
There is no age when a closed chamber isn't good for maintaining temperatures and humidity.

The time to stop using a closed chamber is when the room conditions match what the tortoise needs. When the entire room is 82-88 and 80+% humidity day and night, all year long, then a closed chamber will no longer be needed.

Otto0809

Katy, TX
There is no age when a closed chamber isn't good for maintaining temperatures and humidity.

The time to stop using a closed chamber is when the room conditions match what the tortoise needs. When the entire room is 82-88 and 80+% humidity day and night, all year long, then a closed chamber will no longer be needed.

Otto0809

Katy, TX
Ok great
Someone on here said that only hatchlings need a closed chamber enclosure. The room i have them in stays in the low 70s all year round due to A/C and heating. I have them in a closed chamber because of that reason.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Someone on here said that only hatchlings need a closed chamber enclosure.
I've seen that repeatedly too, and I don't agree.

Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. Our tortoises are still growing even after the hatching stage.

Some species are totally fine in drier conditions as adults. In these cases, a closed chamber still makes it easier to maintain the right temperatures and whatever moderate humidity level is desired.

RFs need warm humid conditions for every life stage. I don't know how a person could do that in an open topped table, unless the whole room was the correct conditions.

Barb gave me a great analogy the other day. An open topped enclosure is like your house with no roof/ceiling. In winter, you can run the heater, but I don't think it will work very well if you move more than a couple of feet from a vent. Same in summer with AC. To keep temperatures in our homes where we want them, we kind of need a roof on top. Same with our tortoise enclosures. :)

Otto0809

Katy, TX
I've seen that repeatedly too, and I don't agree.

Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. Our tortoises are still growing even after the hatching stage.

Some species are totally fine in drier conditions as adults. In these cases, a closed chamber still makes it easier to maintain the right temperatures and whatever moderate humidity level is desired.

RFs need warm humid conditions for every life stage. I don't know how a person could do that in an open topped table, unless the whole room was the correct conditions.

Barb gave me a great analogy the other day. An open topped enclosure is like your house with no roof/ceiling. In winter, you can run the heater, but I don't think it will work very well if you move more than a couple of feet from a vent. Same in summer with AC. To keep temperatures in our homes where we want them, we kind of need a roof on top. Same with our tortoise enclosures. :)
I keep my enclosures around 83° and humidity 85-90% 24-7 is that a good setting?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I keep my enclosures around 83° and humidity 85-90% 24-7 is that a good setting?
I don't have first hand experience to draw from, but other successful RF keepers on here recommend a range 82-88 degrees 24/7.