Closed chamber pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
Anyone have pictures of their closed chambers? How long did you used them? Did u notice less issues and less pyramiding? Or did you change to open?

abclements

5 Year Member
The closed chamber doesn't "fix" the pyramiding. It just helps you maintain high humidity which in turn fixes the pyramiding. It is extremely useful and is proven by Tom and his sulcatas and leopards. I am using a coffee table for mine. Here are a couple old pics that I have of it. I took out the top glass plates for the pictures.

Sent from my LG-P769 using TortForum mobile app

Attachments

• 1371521249838.jpg
    1371521249838.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 242
  • 1371521272845.jpg
    1371521272845.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 244

reptile_couple

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
I am using pvc enclosures for my baby Leopard and my cherry head. Each one is 2 feet by 4 feet. ImageUploadedByTortForum1371535288.921477.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1371535328.786331.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

allegraf

10 Year Member!
TerryO has some of the best closed chamber enclosures when she houses her torts in the winter. Drop her a line or search her on the forum. Simply amazing what she does and the smooth growth of her torts.

MarissaRelf

5 Year Member
Oregon
I have a Russian who is kept outside but I'm curious. This may be a dumb question but what's the difference between an enclosed chamber and an aquarium? PS I would never keep my tort in an aquarium.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
MarissaRelf said:
I have a Russian who is kept outside but I'm curious. This may be a dumb question but what's the difference between an enclosed chamber and an aquarium? PS I would never keep my tort in an aquarium.
Typically an aquarium is used with an open screen top. If you cover the entire top in heavy foil with just holes cut out for lights, or if you cover it in clear packing tape with just holes for lights you have instantly made an enclosed chamber.

Here are pictures of a poor person's closed chamber...lol. But it works. This is a Rubbermaid closed chamber housing a juvenile three toed box turtle. The screen top on the one end holding the heat lamp is covered with clear packing tape with just a hole for the heat lamp fixture. Across the rest of the top is a cheap clear shower curtain from the dollar store.

abclements

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Closed chamber pictures

MarissaRelf said:

Keeping your tort in an aquarium is perfectly acceptable given 2 conditions. 1. It is big enough to support your tort (absolute minimum 8 shell lengths by 4 shell lengths) 2. You can get a good heat gradient. The aquarium=bad is a myth especially with high humidity species like red foots, sulcata hatching, leopard hatchlings... many experienced keepers have had amazing results with an aquarium. TerryO has 2 of the healthiest red foots I've ever seen and she uses large aquariums during the winter. Sorry about the long post, that got a little off topic, I've just made it my mission to debunk the "old and outdated" ways of doing things.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I typically agreed with all that until recently. I used to have my juvenile three toed in a large aquarium. I then switched him to a Rubbermaid of the same floor dimensions. In the aquarium he climbed the walls trying to escape and would often flip over on his back. I had paper taped all around the outside but he constantly was looking for a way to see over the paper. In the Rubbermaid he is much more relaxed and acts more "normal". So lately my thinking on that has changed.

abclements

5 Year Member
Interesting! I've always had a very open enclosure (plexiglass on all sides) and have never had any problems with climbing the walls. So this never once crossed my mind! But even with the paper he was trying to get out? I really appreciate you letting me know that! I will keep that in mind when recommending aquariums! That being said, I usually recommend the Rubbermaid tub due to cost! I just don't like telling people that they wasted 100 dollars on an aquarium when in reality, it usually works! But I guess there is always exceptions to every rule! Glad you set me straight!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
abclements said:
Interesting! I've always had a very open enclosure (plexiglass on all sides) and have never had any problems with climbing the walls. So this never once crossed my mind! But even with the paper he was trying to get out? I really appreciate you letting me know that! I will keep that in mind when recommending aquariums! That being said, I usually recommend the Rubbermaid tub due to cost! I just don't like telling people that they wasted 100 dollars on an aquarium when in reality, it usually works! But I guess there is always exceptions to every rule! Glad you set me straight!

Yeah, tubs are definitely much cheaper! Yes, it was like he knew if he could just get up there he could peek over the paper. He has been very relaxed in the tub, once he got over the stress of a new environment. He has been in the tub for probably about a month or so now. Trust me, I used to feel the same way about aquariums. But I can't ignore what my boxie just "told" me.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I've had my leopard in a glass aquarium converted into a closed chamber. Never once had a problem with climbing the glass or rubbing the walls..

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

Attachments

• 1371585943164.jpg
    1371585943164.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 134

abclements

5 Year Member
I guess it's really just a case by case basis! Even torts have personalities lol

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
I keep my little ones in a closed chamber from 6:30pm to 10am. This is what it looks like. My temps and humidity are great too. 106 degrees basking, 90 ambient, 85 cool, night time 80 with the CHE on a thermostat. Humidity is 80-85% with one misting a day, mainly on my grass and plants, and in the humid hide under the heat lamp.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1371613043.610903.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1371613064.535284.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1371613077.201733.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1371613092.986179.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1371613109.002973.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1371613124.418799.jpg

Pardon how messy their room is. I took the pictures while they were romping about in their outdoor enclosure, before I cleaned out their morning mess.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
ImageUploadedByTortForum1371753430.868807.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1371753517.694203.jpg

The rest is linked to in my signature. The plants have since changed, I should take some new pictures.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Here is mine. I use 80watt cable heater under 3' of coconut husk chips, they r spongy soft, soak up water and no mess. Humidity is even thru out at constant 80-85% for days on, in the dry cool basement. Plexiglass is constantly fogged up. There is adequate ventilation. I installed small computer fan on the ceiling of enclosure to gently circulate the air, which really is not needed. The heat cable gently warms the substrate, make the water evaporate from soaked husk and creating heat without drier hot spots. The ambien temp inside is even 85 on the side with heat cable and 79 on cool side. I do use thermostat.

View attachment 46987
View attachment 46988

Status
Not open for further replies.