Clueless! Found Need Help Identifying!

TempestRising

Location (City and/or State)
Austin, Texas
Hi guys! My brother in law is out working on gas pipelines in Colorado and found this Turt/Tort in the bushes of the hotel while having a cig. (Ewww :confused:) He said it freaked him out because the bush was moving and all of a sudden a head popped out the clearing :p:DAnywho he called me as if I knew what type of Turt/Tort it was. I do not! Can anyone help me to identify this handsome one and hopefully I can have my brother take him to a local rescue. Thanks a million!

Screenshot_2017-06-16-22-30-07.png Screenshot_2017-06-16-22-29-53.png

TempestRising

Austin, Texas
Thank you so much. Ill take a look through the forum for a care sheet so he can keep him comfy until we find out more about a rescue center nearby. He is out there for work and feels bad the boxie was in the hotel bushes compared to the way he sees Ive been keeping my little Red Foots here at home.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Lots of similarities in keeping. They love to hide in leaf litter, have to have access to water where they can go and sit (ponds, big puddles etc). They eat fruit and protein like our RFs, they love worms (night crawlers) . That's all I can recall.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Is your brother in law keeping the little boxie? I hope some of our box turtle experts chime in. @Yvonne G, is it ok to pick up wild boxie and keep it? Do you know? I know there are some strict laws about our native tortoises but not sure about turtles...

TempestRising

Austin, Texas
Is your brother in law keeping the little boxie? I hope some of our box turtle experts chime in. @Yvonne G, is it ok to pick up wild boxie and keep it? Do you know? I know there are some strict laws about our native tortoises but not sure about turtles...
We live in Texas and he is only in Colorado until July so he doesn't have a way to really "keep it" I'm trying to help find a local recue he can take it to when he has time off work. He doesn't want to just put it back outside in the bushes at some hotel (and he said he told the front desk and they haven't had anyone say they've lost a 'pet' or that they normally find them on the property) After looking around in the American Box Turtle section I found more info and they do seem to have a similar set up with my RFs so I told him some basic care tips for food and available water. He says 'Boxie' is pretty large I mean I thought so as well from the pics (I want him to send me an underside pic so maybe we can find out the sex) He has a flatbed truck he said he will try and make it comfortable there as it gets cold in his hotel room. Hopefully by the middle of next week I can find somewhere for him to take the little fella ;)

South Carolina
Thank you so much. Ill take a look through the forum for a care sheet so he can keep him comfy until we find out more about a rescue center nearby. He is out there for work and feels bad the boxie was in the hotel bushes compared to the way he sees Ive been keeping my little Red Foots here at home.
Is he native, maybe he's someone's pet?