Coco Coir?

TaylorLO

Where can I buy coco coir? Is it in pet stores or should I order it online? If online, what's a reliable website with good pricing?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
In some areas the Home Supply stores will carry coco coir in large bags. The pet stores do have coco coir but small bricks can be somewhat expensive.

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I have used eco-earth. If you find some online or at the garden store you just have to make sure that it does not have anything else added to it. The garden store will probably be cheaper. And they probably have a larger bricks.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
I was just at my Petsmart today and they had the 3 blocks of Eco Earth ( coco coir ) for $7.99 which is better than the Amazon price of $10.39 for 3 bricks.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I get it in large blocks from garden supply centers for about $12. This is the equivalent of about 20 of those little pet store blocks.
When I go to the garden supply centers and ask for it they have no idea what I'm talking about. do you have a specific brand or how do you ask for it?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When I go to the garden supply centers and ask for it they have no idea what I'm talking about. do you have a specific brand or how do you ask for it?

You must be asking the wrong person... It is ground up coconut husk. It is used for many gardening and potting needs. I've seen it at all the different plant selling nurseries around here. Not at hardware stores with a garden section, but at full fledged garden centers. Maybe this is a regional thing and I just didn't know it.

Alternatively, I just did an internet search and turned up this along with many others: http://www.redearthworms.com/1-5KG-...a_7c27_d_005&gclid=CKqe0Ja2gMMCFY0-MgodPUwA5w

Can't beat that. $7.50 and they send it to your door.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You must be asking the wrong person... It is ground up coconut husk. It is used for many gardening and potting needs. I've seen it at all the different plant selling nurseries around here. Not at hardware stores with a garden section, but at full fledged garden centers. Maybe this is a regional thing and I just didn't know it.

Alternatively, I just did an internet search and turned up this along with many others: http://www.redearthworms.com/1-5KG-...a_7c27_d_005&gclid=CKqe0Ja2gMMCFY0-MgodPUwA5w

Can't beat that. $7.50 and they send it to your door.
The nurseries around here don't seem to have it. Home Depot didn't either. I'm sure it's easier to find in bigger towns. Hopefully I won't need any for a while so I won't have to worry about it :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi I bought some coco coir (Kokosnot)) from Ikea in the UK at just £2 a block but when I got it home realised it contains nutrients as it is a soil alternative for plants. It doesn't say what the nutrients are so I wasn't sure if it would be safe for my tortoise and didn't use it. I've stuck to the pet shop makes for reptiles which are much more expensive. Would 'Kokosnot' be the same as any bought from a garden centre /nursery and would it be safe?

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I ordered mine from pet mountain.com and I got it on sale. There were little blocks but I think it I ordered 12 or so because I did the math and that was a great price for the amount of coco coir $18 which it gave me more than the nursery big block. I had use some and until now I still have to change my tortoise bedding area.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I ordered mine from pet mountain.com and I got it on sale. There were little blocks but I think it I ordered 12 or so because I did the math and that was a great price for the amount of coco coir $18 which it gave me more than the nursery big block. I had use some and until now I still have to change my tortoise bedding area.

The block I got from my nursery was the equivalent of about 20 pet store sized bricks for $12. They must have different sized blocks.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
If I ask for that day show me towards the Pete Moss. I think we just don't have the right type of store here is the problem.
Any bigger garden centers near you?
It's usually described as soil for nursery plants, because it encourages root growth and drainage o_O:)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
So would my IKEA coco coir be OK to use even if with unspecified nutrients for plant growth?