Coco coir

AmandaF

Location (City and/or State)
Congresbury
Hi everyone, please forgive me if Im asking a stupid question.
Do I let the coco coir dry before using? I’ve never used this before. I have a leopard tortoise & I wasn’t sure about, leaving it wet.

thank you

amanda

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hi everyone, please forgive me if Im asking a stupid question.
Do I let the coco coir dry before using? I’ve never used this before. I have a leopard tortoise & I wasn’t sure about, leaving it wet.

thank you

amanda

Definitely keep it moist. The coco coir won’t mold or mildew & provides good moisture in your enclosure for Mr Leopard tort. You want to rehydrate tge dry coir, fully saturate it, then ring most of the water out. You don’t want it dripping wet, but definitely not dry.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She is 2 1/2. Thank you for the advice

amanda
2 1/2 80% should still be provided. Once they are big enough to live outside, around 10 inches long, then a humid night box should be provided. If you live in a very low humidity very hot place, then running sprinklers or misters daily will help cool the area and add humidity to the adults.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
She is 2 1/2. Thank you for the advice

amanda
Coir is going to be very messy for a tortoise that size. Use a thick layer and hand pack it firmly. Fine grade orchid bark will work much better.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
To help you... i put the block in a bucket and get the hose pipe and add water carefully and keep breaking it up and add water. I use gloves as messy. As mentioned pack it down and use another substrate on top I.. e orchid bark. Get a plant water sprayer and keep spray daily to maintain moisture. See how you go with it... as I abandoned it in my indoor enclosure as it got trampled everywhere. I use it to top up my outside enclosure.

AmandaF

Congresbury
2 1/2 80% should still be provided. Once they are big enough to live outside, around 10 inches long, then a humid night box should be provided. If you live in a very low humidity very hot place, then running sprinklers or misters daily will help cool the area and add humidity to the adults.
Thank you for the help.

amanda

AmandaF

Congresbury
Coir is going to be very messy for a tortoise that size. Use a thick layer and hand pack it firmly. Fine grade orchid bark will work much better.
Thank you for the advice, it’s very appreciated
amanda

Reactions: Tom

AmandaF

Congresbury
To help you... i put the block in a bucket and get the hose pipe and add water carefully and keep breaking it up and add water. I use gloves as messy. As mentioned pack it down and use another substrate on top I.. e orchid bark. Get a plant water sprayer and keep spray daily to maintain moisture. See how you go with it... as I abandoned it in my indoor enclosure as it got trampled everywhere. I use it to top up my outside enclosure.
Thank you for the help, it’s greatly appreciate.
amanda

AmandaF

Congresbury
Thank you for the help. It’s much appreciated
amanda

AmandaF

Congresbury
Thank you, I appreciate the advice