Coco Peat

lite17

Hi everyone, i am a new sulcatas pet owner from Indonesia. I am so greatful that this forum exists. It has helped me a lot preparing all the needs for my sulcatas. Currently, I am having difficulties with their substrate due to limited types of substrate products sold in my countries. I have been using a rubber mat for their indoor enclosure (torto table). So far, it's been fine for them. However, i want to give them a proper bedding and home. This morning i have found a seller that sells coco peat (ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403835288.828514.jpg. I need some advices in case anyone have ever used this because i am not sure if it is the same with coconut fiber (at least according to the seller its not). Do I mix these coco peat with any other substrate? Does it needs to be expanded like coco fiber? Just fyi, indonesia is a tropical country with a temp of 86F-91F (30C-33C). Humidity level is about 60%-80%. I am afraid that too much coco peat will make the torto table too humid. I really appreciate the help. Thanks in advance :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
You can use the coco/peat for most of the enclosure and then offer an area that you can attempt to leave drier than the rest...this will offer the tort a choice....also, the substrate should be AT LEAST 6 inches deep...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Or you can bring in a shovel-full or so of dirt from outside and mix it in thoroughly with the coco peat.

(Welcome to the Forum!)

1028762jld543t69m.gif

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Coco coir is great, you can mix with all kind of stuff (like dirt and bark) it holds moisture well, and is digestible. That stuff looks a little wet now, though. Maybe let it sun out for a bit? Little bugs like to live in warm, wet substrate!