Coconut Coir

dave'ssulcata

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Atlanta
I am moving my 1 year old Sulcata (300 grams) into a new indoor enclosure. I am not sure about the right substrate to use. I don't know where to get plain additive free soil so I am thinking of using Coconut Coir but I am not sure HOW to use it and whether it is a good idea. do I just get the bricks, soak them and put them in the enclosure? How much is needed for an 6x8 foot enclosure?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Dave

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You can also use this;

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Premier-3-cu-ft-Peat-Moss-70976040/100626048

No junk in it, it holds a bunch of water if you want it to, it packs down nicely and if you want to allow an eco system to flourish in your enclosure (worms, pill bugs to keep soil healthy) this is a good material for that as well.....only annoying thing, is when you first add water to the material it take FOREVER to initially take in/absorb the water, did I say FOREVER, yeah forever....but once it does it the initial time, you are set---there after it absorbs quickly....

This is also affordable for the size of enclosure you refer to and this can allow you ease in making the substrate deep for the tort...

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Forever is an understatement. You can make the process a bit faster by adding boiling water which might have the added benefit of killing any bug eggs that might be hitching a ride in your dirt.

dave'ssulcata

5 Year Member
Atlanta
Thanks for the advice-and the warning to be patient! I'll also check out the peat moss. Both seem pretty affordable.

dave'ssulcata

5 Year Member
Atlanta
Okay, I got the Coconut coir. do I break the bricks up or just line the enclosure with them?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, Dave, Dave, Dave...What are we gonna' do with you? :p

I believe the directions on the package tell you to submerge the brick in a 5 gallon bucket of hot water. Even if the directions don't tell you to do that, I'm telling you to do that. After the brick has absorbed the water, you can squeeze out the excess water and use the resultant "mulch" as your substrate.

dave'ssulcata

5 Year Member
Atlanta
Yvonne, did I mention I' a newbie? You sharing your experience is much appreciated. This is my first Tortoise but Noah is like a son (nearly). There were no directions so I really appreciate your advice. I didn't know what the brick was going to turn into. As far as the "what are we going to do with you" my wife says that all the time! :)

hdeaver1

I just used coconut coir and it went very smoothly. We used two bricks in a 66 shallow gallon tub and it took about 20-30 minutes. In the end I needed to add a little extra water to break up some of the chucks. However, it works very nicely and I think our tort enjoys it. I also believe that this particular substrate is good at holding humidity.

M

Maggie Cummings

Dave
I use fine grade orchid bark in all my enclosures. It lasts longer then most substrates and to me it would be cheaper and easier to use in a 6'X8' enclosure. It's impossible to find in the PNW, but maybe easier in Georgia. Glad I live close to Calif, thanks to my sis she keeps me in good supply...
Make sure anything you ever use for tortoises does not have pine in it. It is poisonous to our chelonia...

2604gb9.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can buy coco coir in bulk at any garden center store for about $12. Its the equivalent of about 12-16 of those little blocks at the pet store.

I prefer to use the orchid bark like Maggie mentioned for older sulcatas. They sell it in 2.0 cubic foot bags for less than $5. Sometimes its called "Pathway Bark". Just make sure you get the fine grade stuff.

Nothing wrong with the coir. I prefer it for some situations, but I like the O. bark better for your scenario.

dave'ssulcata

5 Year Member
Atlanta
Thanks for the advice. I will keep Orchid bark in mind. Also, thanks for the info on pines. I had no idea it was poisonous for my little guy. My yard is full of them and I was going to start putting Noah out a bit during the day. I suppose if I rake the area thoroughly he should be fine?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pine needles in an outdoor area are fine. No need to rake or disturb things. I've had tortoise living outdoors on pine needles for years. Fresh cut aromatic pine shavings in an indoor poorly ventilated enclosure could be a problem.

scubaMO

What kind of substrate do you suggest for baby sulcatas in a habitat inside? How do I provide burrowing material for them?

M

Maggie Cummings

I use orchid bark (fine grade) for all my torts young or bigger. They can burrow in it just fine. Keeping it damp provides humidity as well. Not wet, just damp.
Some people like the coir, I think it's just personal preference.