Coconut oil

lazybfarm

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
North Alabama
Hi everybody, just wanted to say, I got some cold pressed virgin coconut oil and rubbed a little of it in to my Aldabras shells, and I must say that they look really good, the general consensus from the experts is that it can’t hurt, so I’m trying it out. I am happy with the results. Anybody else try this? The torts look fantastic, it has to have some effect on the hydration of the shell

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    802.8 KB · Views: 15

lazybfarm

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Alabama
Jackson oiled up

Attachments

• 446B3254-F097-4405-A1CA-481AF535F28F.jpeg
    446B3254-F097-4405-A1CA-481AF535F28F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 93

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
@j sheffield made a batch of Tortoise Shine and tinned in. I was able to trade him for some it shined up my torts nice!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yes....over the years there have been many many threads & discussions on the use of cold compressed coconut oil and other oils. Consensus always seems a little bit now & then can’t hurt. A wee dab on, and smoothed out & wiped off seems fine.

lazybfarm

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Alabama
Exactly, It didn’t take but a little dab to do 3 torts, that jar will last 10 years??

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
Yes it will.

This winter? Didi you start winter early, before the rest of us? Its been 100 plus at my house lately.
Its below 50 out on the East Coast where I am staying for now and his shell has been dry. We had to go away for a couple months a while back, and his shell has been very dry ever since.The people who kept him didn't take good care of him but I can't change that. I bathe him almost daily now ( I forgot to do it the other night) and now that its cold, his shell is very dry. Not flakey or peeling, just a dry surface on the plastron and carapace.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I take some joy from the zealots on FB who make these outlandish statements about how the tortoise will suffocate or roast or die from lack of UV if they are treated with oil of any sort.

I get the aesthetics of not wanting to oil your tortoise's shell, and understand that nobody gives them a rub-down in the wild, but the certitude and vehemence with which they spread their disinformation on FB is priceless.

Jamie