COLD DARK ROOM

xlondon-ladyx

Location (City and/or State)
London uk
Your substrate needs to be coco coir, fine grade orchid bark or cypress mulch, not hemp.
Don't line the bottom of it, the tortoise will want to dig in.
Plastic bowls, plant pots, ice cream containers etc. are all good .
Ok I'm off to go on Amazon now to buy all the bits you said and I'll go in the garden and hunt down a plastic plant pot... the breeders had the babies on hemp when I got ( lets just call him/her Mr Handsome for now as it' a 50/50 ) I did order sterilized loam and sand mix ( due for delivery 16th) ordered before I got Mr handsome but since doing extra research realised sand is a no no so I only used the hemp as a tempory resoure.... also his got a mesh top tank! As I was told they need constant fresh air flow but now I'm worried his too cold and humdity is too low should i put a towel over the top? To almost cover the mesh?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Ok I'm off to go on Amazon now to buy all the bits you said and I'll go in the garden and hunt down a plastic plant pot... the breeders had the babies on hemp when I got ( lets just call him/her Mr Handsome for now as it' a 50/50 ) I did order sterilized loam and sand mix ( due for delivery 16th) ordered before I got Mr handsome but since doing extra research realised sand is a no no so I only used the hemp as a tempory resoure.... also his got a mesh top tank! As I was told they need constant fresh air flow but now I'm worried his too cold and humdity is too low should i put a towel over the top? To almost cover the mesh?
No loam, no sand.
One's never quite sure what's in loam and sand is an impaction hazard and could make him sick if ingested.
You need a closed chamber. Glass or plexiglass or whatever they call it now, but with holes for the lights, of course. They don't need air flow, just the air in the enclosure is enough, your spot cleaning and adding food and water is enough to keep the air fresh.
Towels can help as a temporary measure but be careful you don't burn the place down!
What are your temps and humidity at the moment ? Any ideas?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi Adam :)
Wibble on!
How is your day?
Not bad so far, it's a day off and i'm spending a bit of quality time with Tidgy, will be going out in a mo,up to see SPLAT who may be about to hibernate, still quite warm in the day, so not sure.
What about your good self?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
When we 1st got the tank 4 days ago just showing you what tank is like
It looks terribly dry to me.
A new substrate should be the priority here.
A piece of slate, sandstone or rough tile for him to eat his food off is also a good idea, helps keep the beak trimmed.
And when you have your new substrate, a few plants will help provide interest and help with the humidity, spider plants are good but don't get them from the garden centre, they are always chemically treated.

Bee62

Germany
Good afternoon CDR. Good afternoon Adam.
My old cat is still alive although the VET wants to euthanize him today ( but I don`t want to )
He got an antibiotic shot and pain medicaments. I have the next VET visit with him on friday. The VET thinks that he has a tumor in his nose. The nose is slightly swollen and a little bit bleeding.
When there is no health improvement to see on friday I will let him go.:(

Last edited:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
My old cat is still alive although the VET wants to euthanize him today ( but I don`t want to )
He got an antibiotic shot and pain medicaments. I have the next VET visit with him on friday. The VET thinks that he has a tumor in his nose. The nose is slightly swollen and a little bit bleeding.
Good afternoon, Sabine.
All terribly sad, lets just hope against hope that he can make some sort of recovery before Friday.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good mornig everyone!
Yes advice is needed I want to make me handsome a humid hide! Also how to test humidity? and iv heard about a temperature gun? Just need all info in one msg as I'm new here and it's hard to find advice given once read, so I can screen shot also is Mr Handsome undershell normal as I'm worried and don't know

View attachment 222805

All this talk about humid hides is referring to other species of tortoise, not the mediterranean species, as yours is. He will do just fine with a slightly moist substrate.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

This is always so very hard. I hate having to make that decision. But it's better than allowing him to suffer.