COLD DARK ROOM

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ottawa, Ontario
Good morning friends.. I’m catching up with y’all this morning and my hallmark movies.. hubby is heading to the store for some steaks. We have company coming in today and we are going to grill for everyone.. think my dad is coming too and it’s been over a month since I’ve saw him! I’m pretty happy:) my nephew got got 3 more referrals since last week and will be attending alternative school starting Monday. LOT of drama there over the past couple days but I think he and I have reached an understanding.. I hope.... something feels different, in a good way.. I’m hoping to do some photography today for the perfect tortoise shot to submit in the calendar contest..my other children are doing great and I appreciated their good behavior so much more these days[emoji16]
I hope everyone has a wonderful Saturday!

Oh I didn’t realize the contest was on! Good luck, everybody! @Tidgy’s Dad, just giving you a heads up.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Wild boar cause similar problems in the UK.

This is a news story this week about them wrecking a school playing field
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...tches-sports-day-BOAR-tore-playing-field.html

The state of Arkansas has spent a lot of $$$ on a high tech trap with a live “eye” that communicates with the wardens phone.. he watches on his cell and then triggers the gate to shut when all the pigs are in. I was allowed to take part in the placement of one and the results were very “efficient” ... the state is now accepting calls from private land owners and placing traps.. previously, they were only used on public lands.IMG_9407.jpgIMG_9406.jpgIMG_9405.jpgIMG_9404.jpg

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Them dirty ba$/@£•$!!![emoji35] they have just populated uncontrollably.. we live in a gated community .. while driving in a couple days ago, I noticed that one of my neighbors yards had been demolitioned by them.. it’s just ridiculous!
To keep the feral hogs out, long term, the fence has to be strong and deep (bottom part buried). Fencing that would contain a full size male Sulcata, prone to digging, would probably work great! :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The state of Arkansas has spent a lot of $$$ on a high tech trap with a live “eye” that communicates with the wardens phone.. he watches on his cell and then triggers the gate to shut when all the pigs are in. I was allowed to take part in the placement of one and the results were very “efficient” ... the state is now accepting calls from private land owners and placing traps.. previously, they were only used on public lands.View attachment 254722View attachment 254723View attachment 254724View attachment 254725
Do they then shoot them?

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Well done to them.
Good Morning all.
I was up early this morning with my two resident birds knocking on the window. The picture did not work. But maybe that was because it was printed in black and white.
I am at the shops and hopefully will find what I need. I hate shopping but at least I am early enough that it should be a quick in and out thing.
Not see you all later.
Do they observe Halloween over there? Some neighborhoods in Florida go all out on decorations for Halloween. Temperatures here are usually ideal for kids going trick-or-treating in the early evening, in late October.

Anyway, if there are Halloween decorations in the shops, you might find some good silhouettes of birds of prey (owls), bats, maybe even life size black cats.

Of course, if there's a life size, live cat available to patrol your window sill, that's not such a bad idea....

If the items in, on, or behind the window don't work, you can try placing a large potted shrub or small-ish tree (also in a large, heavy pot), or other really tall plants in front of your window for a while.

I'm wondering if the problem will sort of correct itself before too much longer... The angle of the sun and timing of the sunrise keeps changing. I wouldn't count on it, though. At very least, I'd want to break them of the habit of flying at your window, before the tendency becomes too ingrained.

Check and see if any of your local garden centers have bird deterrents. They might have window clings, or even a faux bird of prey that you could perch outside your window. Imagine that... You may have to put up your own version of a scarecrow, at least for a while!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Do they observe Halloween over there? Some neighborhoods in Florida go all out on decorations for Halloween. Temperatures here are usually ideal for kids going trick-or-treating in the early evening, in late October.

Anyway, if there are Halloween decorations in the shops, you might find some good silhouettes of birds of prey (owls), bats, maybe even life size black cats.

Of course, if there's a life size, live cat available to patrol your window sill, that's not such a bad idea....

If the items in, on, or behind the window don't work, you can try placing a large potted shrub or small-ish tree (also in a large, heavy pot), or other really tall plants in front of your window for a while.

I'm wondering if the problem will sort of correct itself before too much longer... The angle of the sun and timing of the sunrise keeps changing. I wouldn't count on it, though. At very least, I'd want to break them of the habit of flying at your window, before the tendency becomes too ingrained.

Check and see if any of your local garden centers have bird deterrents. They might have window clings, or even a faux bird of prey that you could perch outside your window. Imagine that... You may have to put up your own version of a scarecrow, at least for a while!

Like this!

82F1CBB9-FB59-4565-91E9-298264F5247E.jpeg

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Do they then shoot them?
Yes. Some places in Florida, including some state-managed lands, have contracted with hunters to go in and thin out the population, to varying degrees.

Nuisance alligators are sometimes relocated, released far away, if they aren't too big and aren't likely to have an instinct to return. For feral hogs and invasive species (pythons, large constrictors in the Everglades, probably also feral iguanas and feral monitor lizards), those can't be released elsewhere.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Just stopped by our local Agricultural Farm complex where they mow the field grass a few times per year. They don’t bale it up, but mow more for field maintenance and making the complex look good. Anyhow, they cut last week, so plenty of nice orchard grass just yelling out to be gathered. Ive done this plenty of times, nice soft dried orchard grass - it forms the base layer for Sullys dinner plate.

Bee62

Germany
Saving your songs to start my day is definitely the way to go. Another lovely start to the day. Thank you Sabine :) x

PS Love the cat sneaking through in the background ;)
Thank you Linda. I really appreciate your kind words.:) My cats love sneaking around. In the background you can see the enclosure of Ma & Mo.:)