Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes, but as @Tom preaches, timothy is just too darn scratchy & hard etc compared to orchard grass for tortoises. A large 6 pound bag of timothy costs $15.00 at WalMart - a 50 - 65 pound bale ten bucks or so. So, that's why I’m off tomorrow for a few bales.
I've never used Timothy for Saphire but since he's a little fella it won't take much...I'll cut fresh from my flower beds this year and try it on him and Razberri as a treat.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes, but as @Tom preaches, timothy is just too darn scratchy & hard etc compared to orchard grass for tortoises. A large 6 pound bag of timothy costs $15.00 at WalMart - a 50 - 65 pound bale ten bucks or so. So, that's why I’m off tomorrow for a few bales.
I think that more depends on what you find. I've never seen Timothy available at our Wal-Mart. Ox bow is expensive crap. I've not been able to find a farmer in my area that grows Timothy. My favorite has become a compressed bale from my local Tractor Sales for horse foraging. I've been tossing wabbit droppings into and around my flower beds and bushes. I have lots of good size earthworms and some hefty Timothy plants now. I'll use the cuttings as a treat. If Saphire doesn't like it Razberri will.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yvonne, I'm trying to find the page where you tell how you came by the kittens- what page is it, please? :)
@Yvonne G
I've copy/pasted it for you:

Yesterday my daughter called me in the afternoon and asked if I'd like to ride with her on a short trip. As I don't spend as much time with her as I'd like, and I enjoy her company, I said yes. Oh lordy, lordy, how I wish I had said no. We went one town over, to Sanger, to see a woman who had placed an ad for free kittens on Craig's list.
My dream cat is a wildly colorful calico, and I've wanted one for a very long time. You may or may not know, that I live "out in the country", so when people don't want their cats anymore, they drive "out in the country" and dump them out of their car. So I have no need of going out and getting a cat because they just automatically show up on my doorstep - frequently. At the moment I only have 4. This is real light weight for me. I've had upwards of 10 in the past.

My cat regimen is to chase them away. If they come back and stick around for a couple weeks, I trap them, take them to the vet to be spayed or neutered, then release them back onto my property.

So I rode with my daughter to this gal's house in Sanger. When we pulled in, there were two pit bulls in the front yard. We drove around back as we were told to, and went into the house with the lady. There were cats all over the place. She had two litters that she had advertised. One litter was three months old and the other were 5 weeks old. And because the mothers were orange tabby, the babies were all very colorful. And, wouldn't you just know it, there was a calico in each litter. The older calico was very shy, and I couldn't get a good look at her, but the little one, Patch, was very friendly and purred when I picked her up. Well, I knew right away I was going to take her home. But I didn't want to have to spend my day entertaining a very young kitty, so I also took Rusty, an orange tabby with white paws and a white bib.

Truth be told, I THINK these kitties are younger than 5 weeks. They don't really know how to use the litter box, just pooping in their bed whenever the spirit moves them. And sometimes the poop is left half in and half out. I'm having to "wipe" them to make them go.

They are used to eating ONLY dry Purina kitten chow. And they are good eaters. I've only seen Rusty drink water. I don't want to upset their tender digestive tracts, but come on folks. . . only dry Purina Kitten Chow?

They both have goopy eyes - dry goop, not runny, and dried poop under their tails. My daughter (who took one of the older kittens) and I are going to the vet with the kittens this afternoon for a check-up. I don't want to clean up their eyes and tails until the vet has seen them. And after they're cleaned up, I'll take pictures of them for you all to see.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

Yesterday my daughter called me in the afternoon and asked if I'd like to ride with her on a short trip. As I don't spend as much time with her as I'd like, and I enjoy her company, I said yes. Oh lordy, lordy, how I wish I had said no. We went one town over, to Sanger, to see a woman who had placed an ad for free kittens on Craig's list.
My dream cat is a wildly colorful calico, and I've wanted one for a very long time. You may or may not know, that I live "out in the country", so when people don't want their cats anymore, they drive "out in the country" and dump them out of their car. So I have no need of going out and getting a cat because they just automatically show up on my doorstep - frequently. At the moment I only have 4. This is real light weight for me. I've had upwards of 10 in the past.

My cat regimen is to chase them away. If they come back and stick around for a couple weeks, I trap them, take them to the vet to be spayed or neutered, then release them back onto my property.

So I rode with my daughter to this gal's house in Sanger. When we pulled in, there were two pit bulls in the front yard. We drove around back as we were told to, and went into the house with the lady. There were cats all over the place. She had two litters that she had advertised. One litter was three months old and the other were 5 weeks old. And because the mothers were orange tabby, the babies were all very colorful. And, wouldn't you just know it, there was a calico in each litter. The older calico was very shy, and I couldn't get a good look at her, but the little one, Patch, was very friendly and purred when I picked her up. Well, I knew right away I was going to take her home. But I didn't want to have to spend my day entertaining a very young kitty, so I also took Rusty, an orange tabby with white paws and a white bib.

Truth be told, I THINK these kitties are younger than 5 weeks. They don't really know how to use the litter box, just pooping in their bed whenever the spirit moves them. And sometimes the poop is left half in and half out. I'm having to "wipe" them to make them go.

They are used to eating ONLY dry Purina kitten chow. And they are good eaters. I've only seen Rusty drink water. I don't want to upset their tender digestive tracts, but come on folks. . . only dry Purina Kitten Chow?

They both have goopy eyes - dry goop, not runny, and dried poop under their tails. My daughter (who took one of the older kittens) and I are going to the vet with the kittens this afternoon for a check-up. I don't want to clean up their eyes and tails until the vet has seen them. And after they're cleaned up, I'll take pictures of them for you all to see.
Oh Yavonne...do before and after pics. You never know if we might need to see also.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA

OH, this is wonderful!!!!! :):<3::<3::<3::<3:
CONGRATULATIONS on getting your dream calico!!!
And CONGRATULATIONS! to both Patch and Rusty for being smart enough to choose such a GREAT mom!!!:):<3::<3::<3:

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Hello all, getting closer to the holidays. Got the kids there presents no to wrap them all.. oh boy. Hope everyone here is doing well. I go In this week on Thursday for a heart stress test because I get some pain when I try to do things and my heart starts beating hard. Cross your fingers it goes okay. Will be catching up with you all soon stay safe

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A neighbor on my Nextdoor app told of a cat she was transporting to a new home in the country that escaped his crate around the area of my house, so I've been on the look-out for him. Most stray cats end up here at my house because I keep dry cat food out at all times for my outside cats. So about a week or so ago this new tiger striped cat showed up here. He's very shy, feral, and run whenever I go outside, which, naturally, makes Misty chase him. If they don't run, she pays no attention, but running cats is a big game to her. So that makes the poor kitty extra scared. I haven't been able to get a picture, but he's Spencer's double. Spencer:

Spencer 10-21-14.jpg

It's been a couple weeks, and he's still hanging around, so I'm going to name him (with your help). What's a good name for a neutered male tiger striped wild cat?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OMG that is a marijuana add. Train Wreck is the commercial name for the strain. Dank refers to its most excellent potency! Get your card not a bad deal
Our city council just voted their ok to allow marijuana retail markets in our town. I wondered if the craigslist ad referred to pot.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I just picked up two nice bales of homegrown......but not marijuana! Two bales of second cut Maryland Orchard Grass - organically grown, smells great, barn dry, about 50 lbs per bale. The farmer where I got these only grows & sells hay - that’s his source of income. He also has some second cut that is orchard grass blended with alfalfa.

Here they are ready for Sully

C6B19DF8-BE2E-4E14-8F61-A7A781301619.jpeg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
CATHIE!!!!
I love my card! And Joseph's artwork is WONDERFUL!!!! :):<3:
There's a tortoise in EVERY PICTURE!!! YAAYYYYY!!! :D:<3::D:<3::D
I just showed him your quote and now he's bragging about his art for me. I love it. My family loves the artwork he's coming up with because of this card exchange. He tends to go into the mad magazine stuff if he doesn't get motivation elsewhere.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
A neighbor on my Nextdoor app told of a cat she was transporting to a new home in the country that escaped his crate around the area of my house, so I've been on the look-out for him. Most stray cats end up here at my house because I keep dry cat food out at all times for my outside cats. So about a week or so ago this new tiger striped cat showed up here. He's very shy, feral, and run whenever I go outside, which, naturally, makes Misty chase him. If they don't run, she pays no attention, but running cats is a big game to her. So that makes the poor kitty extra scared. I haven't been able to get a picture, but he's Spencer's double. Spencer:

View attachment 283784

It's been a couple weeks, and he's still hanging around, so I'm going to name him (with your help). What's a good name for a neutered male tiger striped wild cat?
Spencer has the same golden undertones that Dilly has. I saw something different in his fur when I chose him as a kitten for Joseph. I kept his name that one of the children named him.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello all, getting closer to the holidays. Got the kids there presents no to wrap them all.. oh boy. Hope everyone here is doing well. I go In this week on Thursday for a heart stress test because I get some pain when I try to do things and my heart starts beating hard. Cross your fingers it goes okay. Will be catching up with you all soon stay safe
I promise everytime I think of you I'll say a little prayer for you...I've had heart pain from mitral valve prolapse. It's not fun. I found that not breathing cold air helped. So...In the winter my mouth is covered by a scarf outside or a blanket at night. I'm not saying that's what it is but it's very common. That also helps with more serious issues.