COLD DARK ROOM

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Good afternooning all. JoesDad and I are a bit tired after a 10 mile walk in the Medway valley. Lots of birds and signs of spring ? It was quite misty when we set out, but it cleared about lunch time
View attachment 319762View attachment 319763View attachment 319764View attachment 319765View attachment 319766View attachment 319767View attachment 319768View attachment 319769
One of two Great White Egrets we saw in a field together. They are uncommon in the UK.View attachment 319770View attachment 319771
10 miles!!!!!!! That's great, I don't think I have walked 10 miles in the last 5 years.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Good morning all, we have a grey chilly day here to start with.
Lola was up and about early today, had breakfast and is now basking.
He hit the heights of laziness yesterday.
He made no attempt to come out of his hide, just peeped around the door, so I put his food in his hide about 6 inches away from him and it, and he, were there for hours.
It was only when I pushed the plate right under his nose that he ate it!!
Lazy tort!!
Hope everyone has a good Tuesday.
Opo has been like that for almost 2 weeks. I have to get him out of his night box or he won't come out. He eats and then goes right to the tall grass. Stays there until it's time for bed. He has me a little worried. I have a vet appointment on fri. Want to have his stool sample checked. Absolutely no shots though!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Opo has been like that for almost 2 weeks. I have to get him out of his night box or he won't come out. He eats and then goes right to the tall grass. Stays there until it's time for bed. He has me a little worried. I have a vet appointment on fri. Want to have his stool sample checked. Absolutely no shots though!
Lola spends most of his time in his hide too, but he's eating well so I'm not too concerned.
I usually have to get him out for a soak and when he does come out of his own accord I block off his doorway so that he either basks or has some exercise.
It was very warm on the weekend so I took him outside, but he turned around and came straight back in.
It's been too cold since to try again.
I wish I knew what was going on his head!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I have 3 small tortoiseshell butterflies that have hibernated on the ceiling upstairs and they have woken up. The trouble is, although the daytime temps have been warmer, at night they plummet again and we still get frost and ice, so it is too cold for them to survive. I have followed the Butterfly Conservation advice and put them in a box in a cold place to settle them down again and hopefully it won't be too long before they can fly free.
That's so neat. I didn't know that butterflies can survive a winter.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
On this day 2020 (part 1) - March 1st due to leap year: We flew from Christchurch to Nelson over braided rivers, parched land, circular irrigated fields and mountains. Then a standard taxi to meet a water taxi to get to our accommodation in Abel Tasman National Park. It’s on the mainland, but there are no roads.
View attachment 319727View attachment 319728View attachment 319729View attachment 319730View attachment 319731View attachment 319732View attachment 319733View attachment 319734View attachment 319735
Now that's some photos I really respect. I DON'T DO PLANES! If I'm in one I don't look. I'm already dizzy enough ? I'm glad I have you to show them to me ?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Lola spends most of his time in his hide too, but he's eating well so I'm not too concerned.
I usually have to get him out for a soak and when he does come out of his own accord I block off his doorway so that he either basks or has some exercise.
It was very warm on the weekend so I took him outside, but he turned around and came straight back in.
It's been too cold since to try again.
I wish I knew what was going on his head!
I just got done soaking him in a squash, water mix. Opo doesn't like carrots, so I decided on squash. He actually drank a lot. Yeah I wish I could figure out what their thinking. ?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Our Sully doing the same......save your money Ray!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Our Sully doing the same......save your money Ray!
I still want a stool sample checked. This is the first time going to this vet. Have heard through different people, one a sully owner. That she is good with exotic reptiles. Got to meet her to get a idea about her. The way I look at it. The money I am spending is my kids inheritance. ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I still want a stool sample checked. This is the first time going to this vet. Have heard through different people, one a sully owner. That she is good with exotic reptiles. Got to meet her to get a idea about her. The way I look at it. The money I am spending is my kids inheritance. ?
I'm hoping to meet one soon in my town. We've only lately had one here. I'd like to meet them before an emergency to see if I can trust them.?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Yep it's all those things you wish you could be doing while working. I'll bet you're still busy living with Rose and Opo.? And recouporating.
That was forsure until covid hit. I was on my cross trainer Sunday and my prosthetic leg started coming off. My stump is a little to small. Have the prosthesis coming Monday to bring me some different thickness socks for my stump. To make up the difference in the fluctuation in the size of my stump. I never had a problem before with the prosthetic leg being a little big. My problem has been the other way.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
That was forsure until covid hit. I was on my cross trainer Sunday and my prosthetic leg started coming off. My stump is a little to small. Have the prosthesis coming Monday to bring me some different thickness socks for my stump. To make up the difference in the fluctuation in the size of my stump. I never had a problem before with the prosthetic leg being a little big. My problem has been the other way.
I had a similar problem when I fractured my knee cap with finding a stabilizer that would fit my chicken legs. The doctor made me leave my wrap on that I had used to stabilize my leg. My orthopedic doctor got so aggravated 2 months later trying to find a small enough shorter one that he made the nurse do it ? I guess I'm a problem child.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
That's my theory.
Yep. I've asked my rabbit's vet but he said he's not done a tortoise. He was honest and he doesn't spout out the usual crap about rabbits. I wish he would study up though. Rabbits are really hard and I figure he'd get pretty good real quick.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
My 18 year old granddaughter up in Michigan. Got in a auto accident yesterday. A driver pulled out of a gas station in front of her. I guess the driver didn't see her. She got checked out at the hospital and had some bumps and bruises. She had also hit her head but there was no bump or wound. My son just informed me, Jaelynn passed out and had about a 30 second seizure. EMS took her to the hospital and she has slight bleeding on the brain. Keeping her overnight for observation.
imagejpeg_0(2).jpgResized_PART_1614647898251_Resized_20210301_162901.jpegimagejpeg_0(3).jpg