COLD DARK ROOM

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
I can still do the bulb changes but I have to remove the whole units now so a much longer job that it used to be.
Oh I love this kinda talk...lol I can do a lot of stuff on my 33 year old car, could even do tune-ups on it back in the day. But the engine is a highly computerized, recombulutin, fancya*sed, high foulutin piece of machinery that gets hooked up to another computer to get repaired... Happy rainy Saturday...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Good morning all, it's cloudy here but still quite warm and dry.
My car failed it's MOT yesterday because the brake discs were rusted so it cost me about £180 to have them and new brake pads replaced. At least I have the MOT certificate now, so I can tax it, and I also have to renew the insurance next week too. It's an expensive time of year.
I managed to fill up with petrol too.
The garages are crazy at the moment with long queues because the shortage of tanker drivers means that deliveries aren't getting to them especially for diesel. Plus there's a lot of panic buying going on. I don't drive far since I retired so my tank should last me a long time.
I don't know where all the drivers have suddenly disappeared to - some are blaming Brexit and the fact that overseas workers have gone home, but I can't believe that so many of them were drivers!
Between that and the empty supermarket shelves the selfish Brits have started stockpiling in a big way.
I just hope Lola's salad supplies for the winter will be OK.
Hope everyone has a good Saturday.
That was us 2 years ago. Hang in...:)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Oh I love this kinda talk...lol I can do a lot of stuff on my 33 year old car, could even do tune-ups on it back in the day. But the engine is a highly computerized, recombulutin, fancya*sed, high foulutin piece of machinery that gets hooked up to another computer to get repaired... Happy rainy Saturday...
I was always better at fixing my car and DIY than I was at cooking and sewing etc!!:p
Happy Saturday to you too Maggie!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I find it very hard to get excited about football - never have been interested, but if you are watching, enjoy!
My neither...my football is NASCAR...When Steve Young stopped playing I lost interest in football...and that looks like maybe my NASCAR weekends might come to the end as well. They have made so many rules and regulations to NASCAR, the drivers, and the freakin cars. Every car has exactly the same car...species and measurements are all the same. It takes a driver and 2 freakin spotters just to drive the car. That's no fun...too many rules and regulations ruined football and now rules and regulations are ruining NASCAR...unfortunately the bumping and banging of MY NASCAR is coming to the end, can't bump draft anymore, just too many rules...I 't [t like laws and rules...

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I find it very hard to get excited about football - never have been interested, but if you are watching, enjoy!

The game kicked off at 0730 am here, so a good thing (other than cartoons or sewing) to watch with morning coffee. It was nil nil at half, then we went to run a quick shopping errand.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Good morning all, it's cloudy here but still quite warm and dry.
My car failed it's MOT yesterday because the brake discs were rusted so it cost me about £180 to have them and new brake pads replaced. At least I have the MOT certificate now, so I can tax it, and I also have to renew the insurance next week too. It's an expensive time of year.
I managed to fill up with petrol too.
The garages are crazy at the moment with long queues because the shortage of tanker drivers means that deliveries aren't getting to them especially for diesel. Plus there's a lot of panic buying going on. I don't drive far since I retired so my tank should last me a long time.
I don't know where all the drivers have suddenly disappeared to - some are blaming Brexit and the fact that overseas workers have gone home, but I can't believe that so many of them were drivers!
Between that and the empty supermarket shelves the selfish Brits have started stockpiling in a big way.
I just hope Lola's salad supplies for the winter will be OK.
Hope everyone has a good Saturday.
There's talk of strikes protesting mandatory vaccinations in the U.S., including among truckers. Our supply lines have not recovered from the lockdowns as it is. When the lockdowns occurred last year & toilet paper couldn't be found because the shelves were empty, I was low on tp. I don't hoard, but I don't want THAT stress again.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
My neither...my football is NASCAR...When Steve Young stopped playing I lost interest in football...and that looks like maybe my NASCAR weekends might come to the end as well. They have made so many rules and regulations to NASCAR, the drivers, and the freakin cars. Every car has exactly the same car...species and measurements are all the same. It takes a driver and 2 freakin spotters just to drive the car. That's no fun...too many rules and regulations ruined football and now rules and regulations are ruining NASCAR...unfortunately the bumping and banging of MY NASCAR is coming to the end, can't bump draft anymore, just too many rules...I 't [t like laws and rules...
Wow so if you ain't bumpin then you ain't racin? I am surprised you stayed in this long!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Last discovery during yesterday morning’s kayak trip. Colonies of Bryozoans. Yep, lots of them.

Most ask what they are….

Typically, when people ask this question,what they have discovered is a colony of the freshwater bryozoan Pectinatella magnifica. Freshwater bryozoans are microscopic aquatic invertebrates that live in colonies that can form into jelly-like clumps, and are often found attached to docks or sticks. Bryozoan colonies can be as big as one foot (30 centimeters) in diameter. The base of each tiny bryozoan is attached to a surface. Its body has an outer sleeve-like structure called the cystid, and a mass of organs called polypide that moves inside of it.

Pix…one down in the water, the other on deck.

268BBC77-F9F5-4CA5-9604-7BA20D3BB144.jpeg

0C330D1A-A50D-41E3-A9E2-F4E8B00441F7.jpeg

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Last discovery during yesterday morning’s kayak trip. Colonies of Bryozoans. Yep, lots of them.

Most ask what they are….

Typically, when people ask this question,what they have discovered is a colony of the freshwater bryozoan Pectinatella magnifica. Freshwater bryozoans are microscopic aquatic invertebrates that live in colonies that can form into jelly-like clumps, and are often found attached to docks or sticks. Bryozoan colonies can be as big as one foot (30 centimeters) in diameter. The base of each tiny bryozoan is attached to a surface. Its body has an outer sleeve-like structure called the cystid, and a mass of organs called polypide that moves inside of it.

View attachment 333526

View attachment 333527
Scary. Looks like a brain soaked in algae!!

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

Most ask what they are….

View attachment 333526

View attachment 333527

Ok… so….

1)- what is it considered?
An animal?
A plant?
2)- how do they move?
Do they squirm like a slug?
3)- does it have a face?
If it has internal organs, at least God could have given it a face. No?

4)- it oooks like a hedgehog curled up in fear?!!!

Either way, it’s very cool and thank you for the description.
However, it’s Saturday and my brain ? is working far less today than that beautiful….
(Whatever it is) creature from the lagoon.
Could you please fill in the blanks?
Maybe even give it A FACE!??? ?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Ok… so….

1)- what is it considered?
An animal?
A plant?

✅ To be exact, it’s an invertebrate.
2)- how do they move?
Do they squirm like a slug?

✅ They don’t really move, at least on their own. If dislodged from their colony they float about til they reattach to something.
✅ No squirming

3)- does it have a face?
If it has internal organs, at least God could have given it a face. No?
✅ No face, or real body parts ?
✅ Some of it’s “internal parts” are actually all on the outside

4)- it oooks like a hedgehog curled up in fear?!!!
✅ Maybe, but more like a jelly fish.

Either way, it’s very cool and thank you for the description.
However, it’s Saturday and my brain ? is working far less today than that beautiful….
(Whatever it is) creature from the lagoon.
Could you please fill in the blanks?
Maybe even give it A FACE!??? ?

✅ Yes, they are pretty cool. Only found in fresh water & are a sign of clean, healthy water.

➡️➡️ Want to read more ? https://www.fountains2go.com/what-are-the-jelly-like-blobs-under-my-dock

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

✅ They don’t really move, at least on their own. If dislodged from their colony they float about til they reattach to something.
✅ No squirming

✅ Yes, they are pretty cool. Only found in fresh water & are a sign of clean, healthy water.

➡️➡️ Want to read more ? https://www.fountains2go.com/what-are-the-jelly-like-blobs-under-my-dock

Thank you soooo much!
What interesting reading too!!
I LOOOOVE learning something new.
How cool!! That you found two!!
But still when you say “invertebrate “
My brain just shuts like a zipper? ?
Like a light switch? ?
Like a …..? ….Invertebrate !! ?
And MY body parts can be found outside of MY body too!!
(It has been a loooonnnngggg weeekk..)?‍?️
But thank you for passing your knowledge along to me.
If I have to I will read it twice !
I am in awe of your knowledge and pay as close attention to you when you speak.
(Not something I do for many people often).
You must be interesting to me?? ??

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas

✅ No squirming

We have lots of these in our lake.. they must be working overtime though because our lake is pretty nasty!!! ?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
We have lots of these in our lake.. they must be working overtime though because our lake is pretty nasty!!! ?
Thats a good sign, it means your water is clean & fresh. From what I read, the populations (size of the globs) get much larger as Fall sets in. They prepare to over-winter.

Wonder how they would work out in a cold fresh water aquarium.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Thats a good sign, it means your water is clean & fresh. From what I read, the populations (size of the globs) get much larger as Fall sets in. They prepare to over-winter.

Wonder how they would work out in a cold fresh water aquarium.
"The Brain that keeps on growing", takes over the tank, invades living room, looks for human blood," kinda a new "The Blob." More & more "Brains" emerge from lakes Yeah, I think Hollywierd would be all over this!!