COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
We will be heading to Michigan on tomorrow
Gonna see my sons and grandkids. 😁
We are driving so it will take us 5 days.
With Rose's back all messed up and my conditions. We are only good for about 5 hrs a day driving.
Going to stay for about 3 weeks. The weekend of the 16th, 17th. Two of my sons and I are in a salmon tournament on lake Michigan. Can't wait,it has been 8 years since I fished this tournament.

That's wonderful! Especially since the two of you are actually up to it and taking your breaks along the way. That's the way to do it anyway. There's a lot to see on a trip like that besides your destination.🤗🙏❤️

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
That's wonderful! Especially since the two of you are actually up to it and taking your breaks along the way. That's the way to do it anyway. There's a lot to see on a trip like that besides your destination.🤗🙏❤️
Exactly, soon we won't be able to make this trip. In fact Rose and her girlfriends are going to Greece in September.
I am going to check on traveling by train to Michigan.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good morning all and thank you for the good wishes.
I'm feeling pretty groggy and tired but not so much that I have to stay in bed, which is just as well because I don't think Lola would make a very good nurse!!
It's quite overcast here today but temps are on the rise for the weekend.
I hope you all have a good day.
That's one of the things it did to me too. But having to get up and moving now and then is a good thing with that virus... Sapphire kept me going going going once again.🐢🤗 And then there's the other critters too and dealing with them. It didn't feel like they were helping at the time. But they were. I wasn't allowed to just lay down and not wake up 🤣 one night I decided to spoil myself and have sugar cookies for dinner.😘

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Exactly, soon we won't be able to make this trip. In fact Rose and her girlfriends are going to Greece in September.
I am going to check on traveling by train to Michigan.
I think you would love that. Especially the ease of getting around on a train car. It's kinda the same as a boat but more contained 🐢

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I think you would love that. Especially the ease of getting around on a train car. It's kinda the same as a boat but more contained 🐢
Yes and I could get a cabin so I could lay down if I needed. It would take 50 hours to get to my destination in Michigan.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes and I could get a cabin so I could lay down if I needed. It would take 50 hours to get to my destination in Michigan.
That's something I would love to do. How many days of riding on a train car? That might get tiresome from the whatever ratteling goes on with trains but the cars might be better now. It just sounds like a fun trip to me.🤗lots of watching scenery in the country maybe.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
My parents & I rode the train from Anderson, IN to Minneapolis, MN when I was 8 or 9 for our vacation with my dad's family & then back a week later about this time of yr. It was a little faster than driving. The scenery was gorgeous. Maybe a 12 or 14 hr trip one way. The dining car was so much fun!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Well, hello CDR! I see the foolishness has continued unabated in my absence! I thought I would stop by and say hi to those of you that I otherwise never see. I'm not as active on the forum as I used to be, but I'm still actively lurking, and responding to some posts.

I don't have much new to tell y'all...I had bariatric surgery in May, a gastric bypass. All went exceedingly well, and I have lost 40 lbs since I started the program in November. I still have 20-30 lbs to go.

Other than that, I got another dog, so now 3 call me Mom. I adopted him from the local Humane Society. He had been hit by a car and the Humane Society went and got him and took him to the vet. His pelvis and femur were broken and needed surgery. Later on the day he was hit, his previous owner came by the HS demanding his dog. He was told that he was at the vet for serious injuries, and the owner's response was "I'm not paying for that!" So the HS said "Then I guess we have another dog". The owner walked out and never came back. I'm so glad, because he is the sweetest, most gentle and partially obedient dog anyone could want.

He's about 5-6 years old, and is a German Shepherd mix. Meet Bishop, the almost perfect dog!

This was on the ride home from the shelter...no doubt pondering what his life was going to be like.20220617_164602.jpg

20220629_184216.jpg
And he's at his new home, unsure of where he's supposed to sleep, but his belly is full of good food, and there's rabbits to chase in this yard. Life is good!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Well, hello CDR! I see the foolishness has continued unabated in my absence! I thought I would stop by and say hi to those of you that I otherwise never see. I'm not as active on the forum as I used to be, but I'm still actively lurking, and responding to some posts.

I don't have much new to tell y'all...I had bariatric surgery in May, a gastric bypass. All went exceedingly well, and I have lost 40 lbs since I started the program in November. I still have 20-30 lbs to go.

Other than that, I got another dog, so now 3 call me Mom. I adopted him from the local Humane Society. He had been hit by a car and the Humane Society went and got him and took him to the vet. His pelvis and femur were broken and needed surgery. Later on the day he was hit, his previous owner came by the HS demanding his dog. He was told that he was at the vet for serious injuries, and the owner's response was "I'm not paying for that!" So the HS said "Then I guess we have another dog". The owner walked out and never came back. I'm so glad, because he is the sweetest, most gentle and partially obedient dog anyone could want.

He's about 5-6 years old, and is a German Shepherd mix. Meet Bishop, the almost perfect dog!

This was on the ride home from the shelter...no doubt pondering what his life was going to be like.View attachment 346937

View attachment 346936
And he's at his new home, unsure of where he's supposed to sleep, but his belly is full of good food, and there's rabbits to chase in this yard. Life is good!
Hi and welcome back!
So pleased the surgery is working for you - you have done amazingly well!! 👏👏👏
You new addition is lovely and it's wonderful that he was saved from his pig of an owner - I bet he would just shot him rather than pay for his treatment, but now he has a lovely home. :<3:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning all, it's not a bad day here and the temps are on the rise for the weekend and the rest of the month, which I'm not happy about but most other people will be.

I'm not so achy today - if I could just stop all the coughing, sneezing and streaming eyes I'd feel much better, but at least it's one step forward. :)

I hope all is well in your parts of the world today!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
My mother in law is not going with us.🤔
I do not like the idea of her staying behind. But I got overruled by her and Rose.
She is more than capable of caring for herself and she will have friends and neighbors looking in on her. Still I am not comfortable with it.
But maybe she wants a break from Rose and I. 😁
Opo's in good hands and if you're like me you'll be leaving an instruction manual anyway! :D
I hope he behaves himself for her!!!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Lyn, I hope you end up having a mild case, with no lasting repercussions, That's what I'm personally afraid of. The long haul symptoms. Not to make light of it but that would really crimp my style, while trying to care for my lil farm. Wishing you the best for your recovery, and I'm sure Lola will be missing your attention.
Thank you! The long covid can be quite debilitating for some and would put a spanner in my works too, but hopefully it will go as quickly as it came and leave me unscathed.
I'm amazed I caught it really because apart from a quick shopping trip one evening last week when it was quiet, and a short visit from my nephew on Saturday I haven't seen anyone or spent any time in crowds etc.. My nephew has no symptoms and he had a negative test yesterday so goodness knows where it came from. I guess it was just my turn!

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Hi Lyn, I'm glad to hear your recovering, Since I live by myself, and have such a lil farm. as I have stated before, I CAN'T get sick/Covid. Trying to get someone, Friend/my Brother to come in and care for all my kids would be next to impossible. ( I do have a SOP for my farm) My Brother lives about 15mi/24km away, and have a hard time to get him to visit even when I'm well, and don't get me started on care for farm animals . . his deal is 2 cats....I mask up when I'm around folks, frequently even outside, just to be on the "Safe Side". It's unsettling to get covid, and not have an idea where it came from, or when your guard was let down. Wishing you a quick recovery, my friend....

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Opo's in good hands and if you're like me you'll be leaving an instruction manual anyway! :D
I hope he behaves himself for her!!!
He won't behave himself. 😖
I looked on the security camera, he was scratching the porch door at 7:30am. Sometimes Nanay talks to family members in the Philippines until early hrs in the morning. The Philippines is 12 or 13 hrs ahead of us. So some times she sleeps late in the mornings. Opo is not going to let that happen.
But she knows how to care for Opo so I am thankful for that.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl

This was on the ride home from the shelter...no doubt pondering what his life was going to be like.View attachment 346937

View attachment 346936
Welcome back, sounds like your surgery went well.
What a great looking dog.
Who took care of your torts while you were recovering?

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
He won't behave himself. 😖
I looked on the security camera, he was scratching the porch door at 7:30am. Sometimes Nanay talks to family members in the Philippines until early hrs in the morning. The Philippines is 12 or 13 hrs ahead of us. So some times she sleeps late in the mornings. Opo is not going to let that happen.
But she knows how to care for Opo so I am thankful for that.
Well, Ray, that should give you & Rose some peace while your off visiting your son's in Michigan. It would be stressful for me if I was concened about the care of my kids while I'm trying to relax.....

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Welcome back, sounds like your surgery went well.
What a great looking dog.
Who took care of your torts while you were recovering?
Actually, Ray, the surgery is done with a laparascope, so is not a big incision, just 5 little holes. I was up and walking the same day. Most people go home the next day, but since I live alone, I stayed an extra day. Done on Monday, home on Wednesday. I was able to take care of my pets myself. Thankfully a friend came in a few times while I was in the hospital and cared for them for me.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

View attachment 346936
Poor guy. And if his obedience is not up to par then his previous parents are to blame. German shepherds are so easy to train. They thrive on it. It's good you got him 🤗 and glad to see you too 😁

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thank you! The long covid can be quite debilitating for some and would put a spanner in my works too, but hopefully it will go as quickly as it came and leave me unscathed.
I'm amazed I caught it really because apart from a quick shopping trip one evening last week when it was quiet, and a short visit from my nephew on Saturday I haven't seen anyone or spent any time in crowds etc.. My nephew has no symptoms and he had a negative test yesterday so goodness knows where it came from. I guess it was just my turn!
When I got it I couldn't figure out how either. I was safe, stayed away from people, washed my hands etc etc etc etc. I had to buy groceries and couldn't trust Joe because he doesn't know how to stay that clean. It has to be not only by air but by touching stuff also. What was weird though was while I was really sick with it members of my family sat in the same room with me and didn't catch it from me.