COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Very uneventful so far. The only problem is the new house they are building across the street. Someone didn't shut the front door. With no insulation or drywall up. The house is like a big drum. So everytime the door slams shut. We can hear a big boom.
Opo is in the living room sleeping in his night box. 😁
Eye of the storm will be here soon.
That's too bad for them. It'll probably ruin their door

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
You're right Ms Cathie, it's not doing that door, or the neighbors ears, any good at all!

As the storms echo in Florida.... up here, the leaves have changed and begun falling in earnest!

It's that time of year again! LEAF time! My yard is only 1/3rd acre but I do not like raking leaves. I usually get a text from one of my neighbors who has run a very top-notch "labor for hire"' company on the side of his State job for ten years as his family grows. He's "my guy" for outside stuff, the guy you always tip well. This year though, it seems like we've gotten more leaves down, earlier so I began thinking......and I texted him. He typ charges $300, this year he's up to 400....and for that he comes twice, next week and again in Dec when everything is down. He takes everything in the yard and basement patio to the front curb and hauls it all away. All in it will be 450 for me....steep but I REALLY hate raking leaves. It's my "To Jeff, From Jeff" present.

in comparison;
Kerry's a teacher so she was off Tues for election day, she raked her entire larger yard, and tucked them all into her woods....herself!

THAT will be my world when we get married! Yikes!

LOL

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Having a cruddy memory has it's perks....

I asked one our warehouse guys to get me a couple sticks of 1/2" ATR and a dozen nuts/washers for our canoe-cart and he brought the stuff quick even though I had told him no rush.

Then he reminded me that we're OFF TOMORROW for Veterans day!

That's my "Feel good moment" of the day!

Glad you dodged the storms again Ray.......you were up in my time of the day....2:35am
With my phantom pains, I never know when I will be able to sleep

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
How long will those go on Ray? I know that is a very real thing, a family member lost his arm at the shoulder on a armco barrier when he parted ways with his motorcycle. He reports all kinds of stuff.

I found the downside to being off while Kerry isn't.............I'm cleaning my house. Ugh.... 2nd load in the dryer, new sheets on the bed, vacuum and....my daughter is a slob! I bought a runner for the dining room to contain her spills and along it, there's a line of soda, tea and God knows what...had to hit it with the little Green Machine...but geez kid, straighten up!

blah blah....back to cleaning...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
How long will those go on Ray? I know that is a very real thing, a family member lost his arm at the shoulder on a armco barrier when he parted ways with his motorcycle. He reports all kinds of stuff.

I found the downside to being off while Kerry isn't.............I'm cleaning my house. Ugh.... 2nd load in the dryer, new sheets on the bed, vacuum and....my daughter is a slob! I bought a runner for the dining room to contain her spills and along it, there's a line of soda, tea and God knows what...had to hit it with the little Green Machine...but geez kid, straighten up!

Story of my life and try living with Joe 😂🙂

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Well... today we got rain finally. We've been doing without for some time yeah. It'll be Remnants of the hurricane. Our weather people said it would be a wall of rain until tonight or tomorrow. Then tomorrow we'll probably get to see snow🥶 the ground's too warm for it to stick. I went shopping anyway 🤣 and got most of my Christmas shopping finished.🤗

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Well... today we got rain finally. We've been doing without for some time yeah. It'll be Remnants of the hurricane. Our weather people said it would be a wall of rain until tonight or tomorrow. Then tomorrow we'll probably get to see snow🥶 the ground's too warm for it to stick. I went shopping anyway 🤣 and got most of my Christmas shopping finished.🤗
Show-off!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're right Ms Cathie, it's not doing that door, or the neighbors ears, any good at all!

As the storms echo in Florida.... up here, the leaves have changed and begun falling in earnest!

It's that time of year again! LEAF time! My yard is only 1/3rd acre but I do not like raking leaves. I usually get a text from one of my neighbors who has run a very top-notch "labor for hire"' company on the side of his State job for ten years as his family grows. He's "my guy" for outside stuff, the guy you always tip well. This year though, it seems like we've gotten more leaves down, earlier so I began thinking......and I texted him. He typ charges $300, this year he's up to 400....and for that he comes twice, next week and again in Dec when everything is down. He takes everything in the yard and basement patio to the front curb and hauls it all away. All in it will be 450 for me....steep but I REALLY hate raking leaves. It's my "To Jeff, From Jeff" present.

in comparison;
Kerry's a teacher so she was off Tues for election day, she raked her entire larger yard, and tucked them all into her woods....herself!

THAT will be my world when we get married! Yikes!

LOL
I'm WISHING for leaves! My box turtles and some of the brumating tortoises need the leaves for me to cover them up for the winter. But the leaves are stubbornly hanging in there and refusing to drop. Haven't even started changing color yet.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I'm WISHING for leaves! My box turtles and some of the brumating tortoises need the leaves for me to cover them up for the winter. But the leaves are stubbornly hanging in there and refusing to drop. Haven't even started changing color yet.
🤞

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good afternoon/evening all.
I'm going to let off some steam now because I'm really fed up so I apologise in advance.

My roofing problem is turning into a real nightmare. I've had a few companies out to look at it but they need to put up scaffolding near the area of the roof where it is and they can't do that because of a lean-to in the way - so they can't fix my leak. It basically means having to demolish it, which has been long overdue but will take time. An electrician came a few days ago to look at disconnecting the electric supply to it but he's not got back to me yet. We've had a few dry days but rain is back on Monday, :( At least he said the electrics were safe as long as the lighting fuse was out.

The worse thing is one of my sisters who is a real control freak is constantly ringing me, going over and over the same things telling me what I should and shouldn't be doing but while I appreciate her concern it is not helpful and just making me feel more and more anxious and down in the dumps. It wouldn't be so bad if she was offering to help in a practical way like letting me store stuff in her double garage while I'm getting things done but she wouldn't even let me store my bicycle in it a few years ago, so all she does is nag. It's got to the point where I don't want to answer the phone to her.

Anyway I'm sorry to rant but thank you for letting me. :<3:

I hope you are all well and it seems as if everyone here made it through the hurricane OK which I'm very relieved about. I hope you have some respite. before the next.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good afternoon/evening all.
I'm going to let off some steam now because I'm really fed up so I apologise in advance.

My roofing problem is turning into a real nightmare. I've had a few companies out to look at it but they need to put up scaffolding near the area of the roof where it is and they can't do that because of a lean-to in the way - so they can't fix my leak. It basically means having to demolish it, which has been long overdue but will take time. An electrician came a few days ago to look at disconnecting the electric supply to it but he's not got back to me yet. We've had a few dry days but rain is back on Monday, :( At least he said the electrics were safe as long as the lighting fuse was out.

The worse thing is one of my sisters who is a real control freak is constantly ringing me, going over and over the same things telling me what I should and shouldn't be doing but while I appreciate her concern it is not helpful and just making me feel more and more anxious and down in the dumps. It wouldn't be so bad if she was offering to help in a practical way like letting me store stuff in her double garage while I'm getting things done but she wouldn't even let me store my bicycle in it a few years ago, so all she does is nag. It's got to the point where I don't want to answer the phone to her.

Anyway I'm sorry to rant but thank you for letting me. :<3:

I hope you are all well and it seems as if everyone here made it through the hurricane OK which I'm very relieved about. I hope you have some respite. before the next.
Sorry you are going thru that with your sister. I understand totally because I go thru that kind of stuff with my family and even total strangers too. Some of them just shout orders about what I should be doing for Joe and not one of them even shows up to check on him. They just tell me what I should do. I don't get paid to help him 🙂 I just try to. I've come to the conclusion to just let them run their mouth. It doesn't even pay to waste your breath to say anything. Here's the thing 😉 though. We all go through the same things and hopefully it'll be preacher teach thyself 😉 when they go thru it 😜 they should get an earful 😁

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl

I think I am stuck with the phantom pains. The worst is at the tip of my right arm where the hand and wrist was.The throbbing pain is 24/7. Pain killers relieve the pain by 50%. But the pain persists all day everyday. Its not really a phantom pain. But I do experience phantom pains in my arm.I did go to a different orthopedic surgeon who specializes in phantom pains and nerve pains. He put me on a med and told me to ask my primary doctor. If it's ok to start taking celabrex. If these meds don't help, there is a implant that will fool the nerves going to my arm. If I could get some relief in my arm the battle would be halfway over. I am thankful my right leg phantom pains only happens 2 or 3 times a week.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Lyn....I think you are still in the "acceptance" phase of your relationship with your sister....LOL
Just teasing a bit, I'm sorry.
Sometimes, family sucks, we deal with it....and sometimes we "can't get calls" for a while.....btwn that and the actual leak, you're being hammered...hope you can find resolution and more importantly, peace on the inside, where it counts!

That's some difficult stuff Ray, you get "hero status" from me just for doing a single day. I understand the basic process for how nerves regenerate from the spinal column but how they react to being severed is something I know nothing about.

Got the house cleaned before Kerry got here Fri evening and I sent her home last night because they have the Bay Bridge Run today and she has a ton of "teacher stuff" to do. Fantastic day yesterday...70F, partly cloudy...what a beautiful day. We knocked out grocery shopping early then I got up and got the roof blown off, knowing my leaf guy is coming. It was so nice out I felt bad about being inside so we went for a walk in the neighborhood, then watched this week's "Ghosts", then went up to park for a couple hours while the chili she made simmered. We watched the new Top Gun movie before she drove home......for those wondering, we liked it, they kept a lot of ties to the 1st one.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning all, it's a bright sunny day here so I'm feeling better about things and put out calls to more tradesmen who may be able to help me get to the point where the roof can be fixed.
At the end of the day I have no one to blame but myself - I have put things off with the back of the house until I haven't known where to start -so not started anything. This leak in the roof is the most serious thing I've had to deal with and is the catalyst for getting other things done. The frustrating thing is finding people to do the work.
Anyway I hope you all have a peaceful Sunday and I'll see you later.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think I am stuck with the phantom pains. The worst is at the tip of my right arm where the hand and wrist was.The throbbing pain is 24/7. Pain killers relieve the pain by 50%. But the pain persists all day everyday. Its not really a phantom pain. But I do experience phantom pains in my arm.I did go to a different orthopedic surgeon who specializes in phantom pains and nerve pains. He put me on a med and told me to ask my primary doctor. If it's ok to start taking celabrex. If these meds don't help, there is a implant that will fool the nerves going to my arm. If I could get some relief in my arm the battle would be halfway over. I am thankful my right leg phantom pains only happens 2 or 3 times a week.
I can't imagine what you're going through, Ray. But I feel for ya, man!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Good morning all, it's a bright sunny day here so I'm feeling better about things and put out calls to more tradesmen who may be able to help me get to the point where the roof can be fixed.
At the end of the day I have no one to blame but myself - I have put things off with the back of the house until I haven't known where to start -so not started anything. This leak in the roof is the most serious thing I've had to deal with and is the catalyst for getting other things done. The frustrating thing is finding people to do the work.
Anyway I hope you all have a peaceful Sunday and I'll see you later.
I would never, well almost never tell you what you should do...but I want to give you a hint...my telephone answer machine says this when anybody calls " Hi, this is Maggie...looks like I'm not going to answer the phone right now, so you should know what to do... or I just take the receiver off the hook .My tv reads the caller id and puts it on my tv. So and do is calling on the screen. BUT I'm not sure I could not answer my sis. But she would never .ever try and tell me what to do. Except once about 34 years ago when she told me I hadda stop drinking "or else". Boy oh boy. I'm sorry your sister has crossed the line oh and no narcotics

Last edited:

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I can't imagine what you're going through, Ray. But I feel for ya, man!
But I CAN imagine because of my accident in my big truck.The nerves and tendons had been cut and my wrist was broken. It was a workman's comp accident in 2003. My pain level was daily 7-8 then there's the days when the pain was off the charts...so here came the Oxycontin...now it's 2022 and I don't need much help with the pain. Sometimes it really hurts, but mostly it aches some rarely bad, but it took years. I sympathize

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Sorry you are going thru that with your sister. I understand totally because I go thru that kind of stuff with my family and even total strangers too. Some of them just shout orders about what I should be doing for Joe and not one of them even shows up to check on him. They just tell me what I should do. I don't get paid to help him 🙂 I just try to. I've come to the conclusion to just let them run their mouth. It doesn't even pay to waste your breath to say anything. Here's the thing 😉 though. We all go through the same things and hopefully it'll be preacher teach thyself 😉 when they go thru it 😜 they should get an earful 😁
I'm really sorry for what you are going through about Joe. How dare other people even offer an opinion about what you are doing! You clearly look after him very well - even looking at his amazing paintings shows how settled and happy he must be - I should think they would be very glad that he is having such a great life with you.
Angie