Cold Weather roaming

Zach B

5 Year Member
Hello everyone!
I have several species of tortoise and different enclosures, Sulcata, Aldabra, and Radiated. I live in Phoenix Arizona so toasty warm most of the year, but the last week or so we’ve had temps dropping into the 40s at night. All of my tortoises are kept outside and have small barns or hides which are well heated. This winter I’ve noticed my Aldabras are leaving their barn early in the morning to sit in the grass and soak up the sun. They are each over 100 pounds and seem pretty healthy, but I worry because they are out there at 8am when the temperatures are still in the high 40s low 50s.
They seem fine and move around and by noon the temps are in the 60s or 70s. I just worry that this episode of cold each morning could be harmful. Does anyone have experience with large tortoises and cold mornings?
Do I come up with a way to lock them in their barn for extended periods of time?
Are they OK because they have a warm hide headed to 95° nearby?

Thanks,
Zach

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I can't answer your questions, but it would be interesting to check their carapace temp with a temp gun.

Even in 40's and 50's it might be warmer than expected.

Try posting your questions in this thread. ALDABRAMAN doesn't respond to the forum, but he might in his thread.

Check out this post on that thread...