Colder Climates, Older sulcatas...Questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Love_My_Pets

5 Year Member
This may seem like a very depressing issue but it really hits home here in Michigan. So, i have some questions....There are probably 20 for sale in Detroit that all have the incorrect husbandry, most come with aquariums, ect ect...

- I notice MANY sulcatas available for sale or adoption , most range from 6-12 inches . Nothing larger, ever. I have never seen a full grown adult Sulcata in Michigan for sale.

- I have taken in a few Sulcatas a a couple of Russians from my vets office. Most have been around the size that I have mentioned previously. the vet would find sanctuaries in the south for them, and off they went.

- In the winter months in colder climates, I have heard of heated sheds being used, but the giant adults, can they generally live well in a heated shed? I find myself always intrigued by them, and oh how I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have one as a permanent member here..but I know that I would never be able to create an environment for such a large species...sadness.

Does anyone live North with sulcata? If so, do you find it as a problem with the adults in the winter? if so, what do you do to help the issue? Housing/diet needs/lighting/SOAKING a 200lb sulcata cannot be fun in the winter either. Sorry for all of the questions.

** There is also a store that sells Aldabra here in Michigan...which I have yet to understand. I just dont understand why or how you could care for such a large species correctly when the temp gets soooo darn cold here. I am sure someone knows how, I am just amazed it can be done. **

M

Maggie Cummings

I live in Oregon with a 100 pound Sulcata (Unless you don't think he qualifies as a larger tortoise). He lives in an insulated and heated shed. He has a doggie door that I open up in the morning winter and summer. In the winter rain or snow he goes out and walks around to see what's up. Then he makes the decision to go back in and bask under his 250 basking bulb. If I don't allow him to make that decision and keep his door closed it freaks him out and he rams the doors and the walls and generally creates a stink. He poops in his water dish then spills it in his hay. He spreads hay all around and generally makes a mess and creates a big stink. If I let him go out and see it's snowing and freezing then he basks quietly all day. I think he does fine in the winter. haha that's Bob!

Love_My_Pets

5 Year Member
HAHAHA! WELL NOW! That just seems sort of hysterical. Does Bob ever come into the house? because I am a freak, i talked about building a huge ramp up my porch to lure a tortoise in (with my magical flowers)...but then once inside...what now? SO BIG and destructive!

I wouldnt have thought a Sulcata would just roam through the snow, but again, I have never seen a sully in Michigan that size either :( No idea where they go when they get that big. But you give me hope that with some serious retrofitting of my shed and yard, it could be done.
thank you for replying also. Bob seems awesome, and destructive. i <3 Sulcata.

M

Maggie Cummings

Love_My_Pets said:
HAHAHA! WELL NOW! That just seems sort of hysterical. Does Bob ever come into the house? because I am a freak, i talked about building a huge ramp up my porch to lure a tortoise in (with my magical flowers)...but then once inside...what now? SO BIG and destructive!

I wouldnt have thought a Sulcata would just roam through the snow, but again, I have never seen a sully in Michigan that size either :( No idea where they go when they get that big. But you give me hope that with some serious retrofitting of my shed and yard, it could be done.

Do a search for Bob stories and read about just how destructive he can be. He just flooded his shed to the tune of $1200. The Bob stories will change your mind about living with a beast like him. He has finally prevented me from napping...the jerk

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Not too many 200lb Sulcatas around in any climate.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I recently adopted a 32 pound sulcata and he poops a ton and eats like crazy!! A big issue is going to be finding fresh greens in the winter. It can be done though. If you think you can give a big sully a good life then go for it!!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Kevin (kbaker, http://www.tortoiseforum.org/User-kbaker#axzz1WYKh8D8q ) lives in Michigan and breeds Sulcatas (I have two that he produced.) From what I understand, he has insulated boxes in his garage that he keeps them in during the winter months. Perhaps he can give you a few ideas as well.

I have always kept my larger ones indoors, either in a spare room or a basement. In the basement it is best to build a sub-floor to keep them off the cement, and in a spare room, you really have to reinforce the walls and floor to keep them from destroying it. It is a labor of love, but it can be done.

Love_My_Pets

5 Year Member
These are all great tips. I Love Bob stories, i lurked for a while before posting and read them. He is quiet destructive. I love the Sulcata personality, the size is the issue for me, as I am sure it is with everyone really.

Thanks for all of the tips.

M

Maggie Cummings

Bob is not deliberately destructive. He is just a big goof ball and with the size he is and the basic lack of intelligence stuff happens to him. I have started watching him closer and making sure no more 'stuff' happens to him. I cannot however imagine a tortoise his size either roaming the house or kept in a bedroom. He would go thru sheetrock in a heartbeat. The first time he rammed a wall he'd be thru it. Also when he urinates it's over a gallon of liquid that comes gushing out with some force behind it. The first time he peed in the house it would be horrible. Not to mention the poop, which I will mention. His poop is quite nice actually. It comes in large well formed rather smelly turds. But they are easy to pick up. Actually his poop is the least of the things that make keeping a large Sulcata in the house unimaginable. Maybe a 25 pounder or even 35 pounds, but there is no way anyone could keep a tortoise the size of Bob with the brain of Bob in the house. I have seen and heard him ramming the walls of his shed to get out and sheet rock does not stand a chance even 'reinforced'. Someplace here is a description of Bob's shed complete with pictures. That's the best way to keep Sulcata thru our Northern winters.

Here it is, I found it...

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Bob-s-shed--20710#axzz1WZ3Gjjer

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I agree that they can break sheet rock. By "reinforced" I meant covering it with plywood, same as the walls of Bob's shed are made out of.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Kristina said:
I agree that they can break sheet rock. By "reinforced" I meant covering it with plywood, same as the walls of Bob's shed are made out of.

Oh boy, am I glad this question was asked!!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
maggie3fan said:
Love_My_Pets said:

Do a search for Bob stories and read about just how destructive he can be. He just flooded his shed to the tune of $1200. The Bob stories will change your mind about living with a beast like him. He has finally prevented me from napping...the jerk
Bob stories are the best pick me up! Lol! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.