Keeping tortoises outside in colder climates

Carolina Vivariums

Location (City and/or State)
Greenville, SC
Hey everyone I live in SC where summers can get around 100f and winter stays around 20-30f but can get down to single digits. I currently have a large male sulcata that I keep outside year around through the use of a large heated shelter he can use when he’s cold and I know I can do this because of a guy I found that keeps multiple sulcata a outside year around in Virginia which is a much colder climate. My question is anyone have other species like cherryheads or leopards that they keep outside in colder climates year around? Can I see your setups if so! Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have other species that live outside all the time and my weather is similar to yours.

Because the sulcata is over 100lbs he is allowed to come and go as he pleases (his body mass allows him to stay warm longer). The leopards, red and yellowfoot and radiata, being smaller, even though full grown, are only allowed out on sunny days.

Because they sometimes have to spend days or weeks at a time closed inside their shelters, I have made their sheds big enough, with enough floor space that they have room to walk around.

I also have made a 'porch' area outside each shed that I wrap in plastic. This gives them a little extra room and the plastic is like a greenhouse warmed by the sun.

Carolina Vivariums

Greenville, SC
I have other species that live outside all the time and my weather is similar to yours.

Because the sulcata is over 100lbs he is allowed to come and go as he pleases (his body mass allows him to stay warm longer). The leopards, red and yellowfoot and radiata, being smaller, even though full grown, are only allowed out on sunny days.

Because they sometimes have to spend days or weeks at a time closed inside their shelters, I have made their sheds big enough, with enough floor space that they have room to walk around.

I also have made a 'porch' area outside each shed that I wrap in plastic. This gives them a little extra room and the plastic is like a greenhouse warmed by the sun.

Thank you so much for the input that helps me a lot yea right now I have a 8ftx8ft shelter for the sulcata that’s heated so I would make one a good size for whatever I decide to get!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
...and I know I can do this because of a guy I found that keeps multiple sulcata a outside year around in Virginia which is a much colder climate.

Because you can do this doesn't mean you should do this. Its not good for a giant tropical species of reptile to be out walking around in that kind of cold and its not good for them to be cooped up in a little shed either.

Carolina Vivariums

Greenville, SC
Because you can do this doesn't mean you should do this. Its not good for a giant tropical species of reptile to be out walking around in that kind of cold and its not good for them to be cooped up in a little shed either.

Yea I get that the sulcata I have was a reduce because the person was going to have him outside all winter with no shelter. I really want to get a cherry head and I am just weighing my options right now