Colder corner ok?

Srmcclure

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma city
Hi everyone!

Well, ghido still isn't using his humid hide and instead sleeping in the corner under his plants, but i checked the temps, and in those corners it gets about 75, where everywhere else is in the mid 80s for night time, except for right under the che. I try to 'put him to bed' but he will always leave and go into the corner. He's eating well, active in between his little nappies, and drinks (mainly in is daily 15 min soaks, but still drinks) but no matter what I do, that's where he chooses to sleep, even during the day. Should I be worried about him?

Attachments

• 20200316_144241_004.jpg
    20200316_144241_004.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • 20200316_141735.jpg
    20200316_141735.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Also, I've changed that plants soil and all that out once I saw the perlite in it so he can't have it lol.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Right now he is having to choose between warmth and the area of the enclosure that makes him feel the most secure. Best if the whole enclosure is the correct temp. Add another CHE, or RHP to spread the warmth across the entire enclosure.

This will always be difficult, if not impossible in an open topped enclosure. Closed chambers make this easy, and much better for your tortoise.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Thanks
Right now he is having to choose between warmth and the area of the enclosure that makes him feel the most secure. Best if the whole enclosure is the correct temp. Add another CHE, or RHP to spread the warmth across the entire enclosure.

This will always be difficult, if not impossible in an open topped enclosure. Closed chambers make this easy, and much better for your tortoise.
Thanks Tom! Would you have any RHP's that you recommend?
And I'm currently trying to get that closed chamber going, the only problem is I'm a dog groomer and commission based and with this new 'epidemic' going on I'm definitely taking a pay cut since people dont want to get out, let alone bring their dogs 'for an unnecessary/unimportant haircut'...its also a private salon(not a petsmart or petco) and they were talking about temporarily closing if this gets worse...so even the RHP might have to wait until Friday... ?
Yay...

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Just used a better temperature gun instead of the gauge and the corner is actually 78. Not I huge difference but I wanted you to know the actual temp

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks

Thanks Tom! Would you have any RHP's that you recommend?
And I'm currently trying to get that closed chamber going, the only problem is I'm a dog groomer and commission based and with this new 'epidemic' going on I'm definitely taking a pay cut since people dont want to get out, let alone bring their dogs 'for an unnecessary/unimportant haircut'...its also a private salon(not a petsmart or petco) and they were talking about temporarily closing if this gets worse...so even the RHP might have to wait until Friday... ?
Yay...
I use the ones from Reptile Basics.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I use the ones from Reptile Basics.
Does that mean you dont need the che in your closed chamber? Trying to plan ahead for after all this mess. Was looking at all the nice pvc cages for an end game indoor enclosure, but some only have one outlet and I didnt know if that was enough? I love yours and Mark's from all the posts I've read on closed chambers on here! He will also have an actual outdoor one then too btw ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Does that mean you dont need the che in your closed chamber? Trying to plan ahead for after all this mess. Was looking at all the nice pvc cages for an end game indoor enclosure, but some only have one outlet and I didnt know if that was enough? I love yours and Mark's from all the posts I've read on closed chambers on here! He will also have an actual outdoor one then too btw ?
Correct. No CHE in a PVC closed chamber. They run too hot and just aren't needed. Very little wattage is needed to heat a closed chamber. Because of this low watt usage, one outlet will run everything just fine. I usually use one of those six strip outlets to make room for the light timer and thermostat to all plug in.