Concerned about my Russian please help

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cornelius Or
I’ve been growing increasingly concerned about my female Russian this past week. She’s been sleeping a little more than usual, which isn’t a big deal, and has all but stopped eating. She is usually a big eater, always aggressively goes for her pile of food and hardly leaves a piece of green anywhere. I was planning on watching her and seeing what developed. That was my plan until tonight. I have her soaking right now and was hoping to see her poop or pee since she hasn’t the last couple soaks and normally does. Well she finally did pee which I saw rocket out of her like a torpedo followed by her urates. That’s when I decided it was time for some input by people far more knowledgeable than I am. I’ve attached a picture or her urates and would greatly appreciate y’alls thoughts on what they look like and let me know if this is something I need to seek medical attention for. Thank you in advance for your help.IMG_1523243754.358715.jpg

Bambam1989

East Texas
I've never seen urates like that before. Are you sure it's not an unusual colored poop?
The reason I ask is it almost looks like there is carpet fibers in it. You can see a clearer piece in the upper section, slightly to the right of the center of the pic.
I am definitely interested to here what others with more experience have to say...

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
I've never seen urates like that before. Are you sure it's not an unusual colored poop?
The reason I ask is it almost looks like there is carpet fibers in it. You can see a clearer piece in the upper section, slightly to the right of the center of the pic.
I am definitely interested to here what others with more experience have to say...

I examined it pretty thoroughly before I rinsed it down the drain and there were no carpet fibers in it and there’s no way there could be as she doesn’t ever have access to carpet. I know it isn’t her poop because it came out immediately after her pee and her poop has always been brownish green and solid.

Bambam1989

East Texas
I examined it pretty thoroughly before I rinsed it down the drain and there were no carpet fibers in it and there’s no way there could be as she doesn’t ever have access to carpet. I know it isn’t her poop because it came out immediately after her pee and her poop has always been brownish green and solid.
I'm glad she doesn't have access to your carpets [emoji3].
My tort has never passed urates and so the only knowledge I have is from what I have read here on the forum (which I have done alot of). Hopefully others will be able to advise you and we will both learn something.

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
I'm glad she doesn't have access to your carpets [emoji3].
My tort has never passed urates and so the only knowledge I have is from what I have read here on the forum (which I have done alot of). Hopefully others will be able to advise you and we will both learn something.

Like you most all of my tortoise knowledge has come from threads on this forum as well as one other trusted tortoise page. While I feel like I have a very good base knowledge about things I know where that knowledge stops and when it’s time to ask for help from someone with more experience than I do.

Kasia

Poland
Hi we need more info about your set up and the whole shibang;) did she hibernate this winter? If she hadn’t eaten for a week she is probably dehydrated so more urates is not something very strange. I would check for parasites, it’s most common reason for a well taken tort eating problems...especially after winter slow down/ hibernation. Soak her daily to keep her hydrated and do a fecal ASAP ( or cloaca swab if she doesn’t poop, you don’t actually need a huge sample if there is a big load of parasites). Good luck ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow, I've never seen urates that consistency before. I really don't have any words of wisdom for you, sorry . Just make sure she's warm enough, but not too warm, and keep offering good food.