Concerned About Shell and Diet

Appliedcello

Location (City and/or State)
Lafayette
Hello!

This is an overall shell health/dietary needs post. I didnt want to make separate posts describing what I've been finding, so I decided to jumble it into one.

I am a new hermanns tortoise owner and I have been noticing that my tortoise has not been eating as much. A couple weeks ago, she used to run to the food plate to begin eating. Now, she only takes a few bites and doesn't eat the rest. I feed her a mixture of turnip, mustard and collard greens. I tried to get her on Mazuri, but for some reason she wants to eat it out of my hand rather than eating it herself off her plate. The other greens I have not hand fed, just the mazuri maybe 2 times ever since I've had her.

I have also found some white spots on her shell that I might have missed when I give her soaks. The white spots do not come off when I gently scratch or scrub her. I usually give her a soak about once a week. I am wondering if this is shell rot or an from when I didnt have her. I am also wondering if the shell has started to pyramid. I am trying my best with the information that I am reading and finding. I just hope that my tortoise is okay!
20210429_192618.jpg
20210429_192634.jpg
20210429_192641.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Please read our care sheet for suggestions on what you should be feeding your tortoise:

As for your shell concerns, I don't see anything to be worried about. Maybe the white spots (I don't see them) are new growth? And as for the pyramiding, that starts when they are babies. Your tortoise is past the baby stage.