Concerned carer

Jackie J

Location (City and/or State)
Glasgow
Hi everyone!
My year old marginated tortoise isn't drinking and shows signs of being thirsty. Is it ok if I leave him soaking daily, or does he need to drink?

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Hi everyone!
My year old marginated tortoise isn't drinking and shows signs of being thirsty. Is it ok if I leave him soaking daily, or does he need to drink?
You should always have water available for them, but there's nothing wrong with daily soaks for a few minutes. Baby tortoises really need to stay hydrated. Keep doing what your doing and you guys will be fjne.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Be sure to have the water dish in his enclosure level with the substrate and that is a shallow clay saucer. Not one from the pet stores that has a ramp on it. As for daily soaks, yes a 30 minute daily soak in warm water is needed for small tortoises.

Jackie J

Glasgow
You should always have water available for them, but there's nothing wrong with daily soaks for a few minutes. Baby tortoises really need to stay hydrated. Keep doing what your doing and you guys will be fjne.
Be sure to have the water dish in his enclosure level with the substrate and that is a shallow clay saucer. Not one from the pet stores that has a ramp on it. As for daily soaks, yes a 30 minute daily soak in warm water is needed for small tortoises.
There's always water there but I've never seen him drink from it. And as soon as I place him next to it he just walks away. I've also tried putting him into it then he'll just get out as quickly as possible. But thanks for replying.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
@Tom always says, if the water dish isn't being used, it is in the wrong place. Perhaps your hatchling likes warmer water or the dish needs to move to a more covered area?

Jackie J

Glasgow
@Tom always says, if the water dish isn't being used, it is in the wrong place. Perhaps your hatchling likes warmer water or the dish needs to move to a more covered area?
Ah ok. I've never tried moving it elsewhere. Thanks for your advice and I'll try that over the next few days.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
There's always water there but I've never seen him drink from it. And as soon as I place him next to it he just walks away. I've also tried putting him into it then he'll just get out as quickly as possible. But thanks for replying.
Well tortoises get most of their water from the food they eat. In the wild water isn't always available so they store water. That's why it's important not to pick up wild turtles because they'll pee. So that's nothing to be concerned about. I've only seen my tortoises drink once, which is why I soak them weekly. So, just keep up with those daily soaks.

Jackie J

Glasgow
Well tortoises get most of their water from the food they eat. In the wild water isn't always available so they store water. That's why it's important not to pick up wild turtles because they'll pee. So that's nothing to be concerned about. I've only seen my tortoises drink once, which is why I soak them weekly. So, just keep up with those daily soaks.
Thanks so much for everyone's advice and help. I've moved his dish closer to his basking lamp so it's not as cold. Thankfully he's been in and out, and actually drinking which seems to have made him more lively....?
So many thanks to everyone.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Sorry but that's simply not true...tortoises get most of their water drinking. And they need to be soaked for 10 to 15 minutes unless they are sick then it's a longer soak...and you need to start soaking at the least every other day...

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Sorry but that's simply not true...tortoises get most of their water drinking. And they need to be soaked for 10 to 15 minutes unless they are sick then it's a longer soak...and you need to start soaking at the least every other day...

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
That's true, but I was referring to wild tortoises. They depend on the greenery if there aren't any rain puddles or streams available. Obviously not every tortoises species such as ones from more tropical climates.