Concerns about my baby Greek tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coaly17

5 Year Member
Hi all,

I'm very concerned that something might be very wrong with my baby tortoise. I got him in December (4 months ago) and he's still quite tiny (pic attached). I noticed last week when I picked him up that his underbelly shell has gotten quite soft. I brought him to an exotic vet and he said he did seem pretty soft and that MBD was a concern. He did also note that with him being so little still that it's normal for the shell to be a little soft (I don't remember it being this soft when I first got him though). I'm not sure if it can be from too much moisture so I've been nervous to spray my tank a lot but I can't just not spray it because I live in Alberta so humidity is a struggle for me as it is. As well, I have a basking heat lamp, an infrared night time lamp, and a uv light. However they're all on top of the tank so I don't think the uv is close enough to him? I'm not sure what other type of lamp/fixture to use if I want to move it to the floor?

As well, he's become very lethargic and stopped eating. He hasn't eaten for four days now. I feed him dark greens such as spinach and romaine lettuce and about once a week ill add some carrot and a little apple as well as dusting calcium powder on the food all the time. I also have a calcium supplement for his water dish which he used to climb right into. Now all he does is sleep. Not even move from spot to spot and sleep. If I don't pick him up when I try to feed him I think he would literally just lay in that exact spot until he dies. I put him right on to his little good rock when I feed him and he just kind of looks at the food like he's gonna eat it and then walks away and buries himself and sleeps. I know he needs more calcium but if he won't eat the food with it I don't know how else to get it to him. I've read some things about soaking him in water with calcium supplements but I'm nervous to get him too wet just because of how soft his shell is. Please help!!! If he dies ill be so distraught :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 61

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
How soft is he? If you pick him up, is he so soft he kinda smushes in a bit? Or are the shells still firm enough to not smush in, just "feel" soft?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Nicole:

Just in case you aren't aware of it...in order for the calcium that the tortoise eats to be processed in the body and do its job, the calcium also needs vitamin d3 either from the sun or from an expensive UV light. If your light is sitting on top of a screen, then the beneficial UV rays are mostly being filtered out of the tank by the screen.

MBD is a pretty painful thing...if that's what is wrong with your baby. So because of the pain, he's just going to lay around in his hiding place and not want to do too much moving.

I know you're in Canada, but are there any days when the sun is shining and you can go outside with the baby in a sheltered area and just let him soak up some good old sunshine?

Another thing: too much spinach isn't good either. Spinach is a food that binds calcium to it and the calcium gets pooped out instead of working its job inside the tortoise. A little bit of spinach once in a while is ok, but not part of his diet every day.

What kind of UV light are you using? If its one of those new coiled bulbs, get rid of it and buy a different kind. The coiled bulbs are harmful to baby tortoise's eyes.

Minority1

5 Year Member
Agreed. Spinach has beneficial vitamins but should not be the bulk of any varied diet. Romaine lettuce isn't good as well, low nutrition values it's not really part of a staple diet. Buy dark leafy greens, weeds and little to no fruits.

Check your UVB like Yvonne describes and see if you're using the wrong type of bulb.

I personally think you could be over supplementing. 2-3 times a week is plenty. Tortoises can naturally produce the vitamin D3 themselves, provided you have the necessary lighting setup.

If the tortoise is ignoring the food then move the food, not the tortoise. Move it to the area it's currently occupying. Let it get used to the feeding dish and when it starts eating again. Move the dish little by little every other day until it's finally at it's original spot.

Honestly the temperature can also be the issue. Can you at least give us the necessary detailed information of your setup so we can get a better idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.