Conflicting Recommendations

hokankai

Location (City and/or State)
WA
I've had my two Hermann's for 3 years now and it seems the recommendations have changed for enclosure substrate since I last did research. I initially set their tables up according to the Hermanni Haven topsoil + sand + coco coir or whatever mixture but it looks like topsoil is no longer recommended? I used to have issues with bugs every once in awhile when they were hatchlings and in more of a closed chamber setup, but now that they are in open tables I don't have a problem. I use locally sourced topsoil as I've had bad experience with trash being in some other ones. I'll use that and some cypress mulch. Why the switch from topsoil, especially if they are going to be living outdoors when it's nice? Just looking for updated info before my next table clean out

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Topsoil can be used in some cases. My Redfoot live outside on it 24/7.
The danger is the sand itself. (Not soil) Avoid loose sand. Especially with smaller tortoises. The impaction rates seem to be greater with them.
The rest of the soil (that isnt fine sand) is broken down or breaking down organic bits. And you're correct. Don't trust all of it if you're unsure what else it contains.
Sand is also a harbinger of bacteria and is horrible at holding humidity. Soil is superior. If it is low in sand.
I hope this makes sense.
It's one of those blanket responses. "Don't use sand" that fits most cases.
I'd never tell anyone who keeps tortoises outdoors to not use soil.
But sand is a really poor and possibly dangerous choice.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not using the soil is for what you said, the garbage that can be in it. They put all kinds of garbage in it. Sand has always been and no go on this forum. Your info is from other sources than here. If you want the best info, you will forget what you learned from other sources and stick with this forum.
Also, tortoises should never be housed in pairs.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've had my two Hermann's for 3 years now and it seems the recommendations have changed for enclosure substrate since I last did research. I initially set their tables up according to the Hermanni Haven topsoil + sand + coco coir or whatever mixture but it looks like topsoil is no longer recommended? I used to have issues with bugs every once in awhile when they were hatchlings and in more of a closed chamber setup, but now that they are in open tables I don't have a problem. I use locally sourced topsoil as I've had bad experience with trash being in some other ones. I'll use that and some cypress mulch. Why the switch from topsoil, especially if they are going to be living outdoors when it's nice? Just looking for updated info before my next table clean out
While I generally like Chris and what he does, there are elements of what he recommends that my experiences have taught me otherwise. No two people will ever agree on everything. I work with a lot of exotic vets because of my career and I get to see what is really happening with tortoise keepers and the problems they encounter.

Soil and sand should never be used as tortoise substrate. Looks like you joined the forum a few years ago. I've typed this up more recently and it will help you understand the contradictions much better. #5 explains the soil thing in more detail:

hokankai

WA
While I generally like Chris and what he does, there are elements of what he recommends that my experiences have taught me otherwise. No two people will ever agree on everything. I work with a lot of exotic vets because of my career and I get to see what is really happening with tortoise keepers and the problems they encounter.

Soil and sand should never be used as tortoise substrate. Looks like you joined the forum a few years ago. I've typed this up more recently and it will help you understand the contradictions much better. #5 explains the soil thing in more detail:
Thanks Tom I will check this out! I had wanted to make it as naturalistic as possible which is why I followed his guide along with this forum. We’ve been in a holding pattern for years and I hopped back on because I’m brumating one of them for the first time, and planning an outdoor enclosure for this year. But I still have Olive over the winter in her table so thought I’d learn while I’m lurking