Confused About How Much Sun Time[emoji274]

Tank & Scooter

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Hi I have two 3 month old Sulcatas and an 8 month old I just adopted last week. I can't find where, but I know I read somewhere where it said you should give them an hour sun for every inch of their shell.

Im confused tho, if I have a 3 inch sulcata, do i give them 3 hours a week ? Or 3 hours a day ?

I currently give them 1 hour a day, and I closely monitor their temp at all times to make sure temps are right. Lucky i was warned by @Tom the very first day I built enclosure that I can easily kill my torts in a small enclosure like this. I don't come out if it's hotter than 82 degrees, becuase my enclosure will get 10+ degree hotter than air temp. I have other temp gauges inside enclosure too. And I spray water each day for good humidity in outdoor enclosure

Btw the 8 month old is getting 1 hour of sun a day too20180601_101446.jpg20180601_101500.jpg20180515_131149.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
There is no set-in-stone rule for this. I have found that too much outside time has a negative effect on the growth of babies here in our dry climate, and I've seen evidence of it even from humid climates.

That general rule you mentioned is: No more than one hour of sunshine per inch of tortoise, per day, weather permitting.

1 hour three times a week is also plenty. They don't need any more than that.

I always soak them for 30-40 minutes on the way back in.

I also sometimes soak and sun simultaneously, especially for hatchlings. Its nice to live in warm sunny SoCal sometimes.