Confused over lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Will one 4 foot UVB light in a 8ft x 3.5 foot pen be adequate?
It would be centered in the pen so some of the UVB rays would extend out somewhat.
Or do we need tubes running the full length of pen.
(We are making new pens for all of the species we own.)

We are looking at these too
http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...terra-terrarium-lamp-controller-2-x-30-watts/

Do you have to use 30 watt bulbs in these units or can you put lower wattage bulbs into them or run one bulb alone?

Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Personally I don't trust florescent tubes as a SOLE source of UV. In the past I have seen them fail. They are supposed to be better now, but I have not tested this. I can tell you, the bulbs need to be close, like 12" from the tortoises and you might need more than one in your big enclosures.

Can you incorporate a mercury vapor bulb too? Those work. If I were i Manitoba and knew I would be getting no direct sun on my tortoises for months on end, I would use a florescent tubes AND a MVB. If needed I'd run CHEs on thermostats to maintain ambient temps on top of the lighting.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Hmmmm interesting concept... I think I like it! it would work well with the reflective cieling I have in my Twin Enclosure! (Lamp Controller)

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Thanks Tom
So would you prefer to not use UVB tubes at all and just the MVB or is there still benefits to having both sources.
I get tired of the MVB bulbs quitting too as they do quite often it seems.
(Maybe due to the fact they have to be shipped in most of the time.)

I guess having been given this to read I was thinking the MVB might not be the best option either??
I'm still confused!!
http://www.tortoisetrustforum.org/phpbb3_live/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8079
Have you seen this article Tom? If so what do you think?

Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In your case, due to the lack of outside time, I'd use both.

Yes I've seen that study. Indoor enclosures and bulbs are a poor compromise at best, but its all we've got if we don't live in an area that suits our species. MVBs are the best compromise that I have found. Ideal? No. Better than anything else? Yes, in my opinion.

If yours are burning out it is likely one of three causes:
1. Too small a dome with no vent holes on top. This overheats them. I use 11" domes that have some vent holes around where the bulb screws in and they have heavy duty cords. I have MVB bulbs that I've been using for years. They are probably not adequate as a UV provider anymore, but they are still good for heat.
2. Its pointed at an angle instead of straight down.
3. Its resting on a screen top.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Tortoise said:
Thanks Tom
So would you prefer to not use UVB tubes at all and just the MVB or is there still benefits to having both sources.
I get tired of the MVB bulbs quitting too as they do quite often it seems.
(Maybe due to the fact they have to be shipped in most of the time.)

I guess having been given this to read I was thinking the MVB might not be the best option either??
I'm still confused!!
http://www.tortoisetrustforum.org/phpbb3_live/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8079
Have you seen this article Tom? If so what do you think?

Thanks

Very interesting read! what kind of heating are they using for the indoor examples? Heating and lighting are 2 differant things that combine for a sub-total of the enviroment. But this article makes it sound like the lighting is the only form of heat source for these inside torts. and would explain why the wild torts have so much more even heating thoughout their bodies.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Thanks again
I will incorporate both and hope that is ok.I do use vit D3 too in diet.
I will check that the domes are correct and the type of cords too-that may be why I am having trouble.
Some of my domes are larger but not all of them.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Nothing seems to come close to benefits of real sun.

Better get back to waterproofing my first 2 new pens here.

Status
Not open for further replies.