Consider LEDs!

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
LEDs are the newest technology and they come in the R20 size (the shape of heat lamps) and work with all the typical heat lamp fixtures we use.

Difference being, they don't give off heat, so they are ideal for brightening up an enclosure without changing the temperatures! Got a dark spot in a corner but your temps are good already? Consider an LED!

LEDs are more expensive, but they have the benefit of lasting years longer than the average lamp. Most are rated at 25 years when used 3hrs/day, vs the couple of years on traditional lamps. LEDs also come warrantied for 5 years for residential use, so if anything goes wrong, you are guaranteed a new bulb for your tortoise!

The 50W equivalent brightness uses only 8W, saving you tons on the electric bill, and actually paying for the bulb before the end of its useful life.

No this is not a sales pitch. I do work in the lighting business, but I won't mention specific brands or link anyone to the product. Check out your local stores if interested, and if not just ignore. :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I agree these are a great idea for additional lighting with no heat. I just have a hard time swallowing their price!

Danimal

5 Year Member
MS
Team Gomberg said:
I agree these are a great idea for additional lighting with no heat. I just have a hard time swallowing their price!

If you are a do-it-yourself-er there are tuts for building your own lights online. You could probably save a little doing that. I have been looking into it for lighting heavily planted enclosures that where I want to spread the light around with out effecting temps.

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
I haven't taken the leap yet because of pricing but have thought about this for awhile. With another hobby of mine being saltwater aquariums I have noticed the transition to the LED world. We have LEDs for our aquarium but I have been curious what grade and how many LEDs it would actually take to produce the proper light nutrients that a MVB produces for torts. I know we needed to buy special strength LEDs for our corals and the kit to build the fixture was quite pricy. I'd be weary about just buying a LED bulb from a hardware store because I doubt it would produce sufficient lighting as they are meant for lighting homes not for growing plants or sustaining life.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Right, they're not for plant growth or MVB at all, they're just low-wattage lighting for dark spots in your space that you don't want to have to change often. I wouldn't switch to LED for a main bulb at all, since you'd lose out on that all-important pretend-sunshine.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Talka said:
Right, they're not for plant growth or MVB at all, they're just low-wattage lighting for dark spots in your space that you don't want to have to change often. I wouldn't switch to LED for a main bulb at all, since you'd lose out on that all-important pretend-sunshine.

I would disagree on one point - many white LED's have excellent spectral output for plant growth (better than incandescent or fluorescent). However this is totally different from what reptiles require (UV light).

Immayo,

The current LED bulbs have ZERO UV output, so no amount will ever replace fluorescent or MVB lighting.

For general lighting use, I have heard very good things about the LED bulbs from Cree. Personally, I'm not buying until I can get 100W equivalent. The ones they have now are too dim for my liking.

(edited for clarity)

Steve