Considerations for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hey all, I am interested in getting tortoises in the future. I haven't done it yet, even though I wanted to rescue a sad looking Herman or Greek (tag said it could be either and I am new enough to this to not be able to immediately identify between them). So I didn't buy the sad soul and would rather not buy a petsmart tort anyways. I have a decent sized yard and have big plans for some organic gardening and outdoor enclosure building. I have to leave enough yard for my two dogs with all the changes we plan to make. As much as I'd love to have a Sulcata, I probably wouldn't have the space for a large adult for 8 or more years. There is a big possibility that we could choose to move onto some actual acreage when my middle child goes off to college.
So in a situation such as mine, what sort of tortoise should I choose? I really like Greeks, hermanns, leopards, and sulcatas. I only currently have my ornate boxie. She is indoors now but I have plans of putting her in an outdoor enclosure a good part of the year. If I don't, I may build her a much larger indoor habitat.
I have three kids that are 12, 10, and 2. I have an outdoor cat and two indoor/outdoor dogs. One is a female boxer and one is a minpin chihuahua mix that we adopted about 6 months ago.

Oh and I don't have chickens now but will when we eventually move...can chickens be in a large tortoise enclosure with the tort?

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

^^not like "housed" together but like free roaming hens going into an enclosure to hunt bugs.

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Cymmie

5 Year Member
YAY for getting a tortoise ^^ I personally would get a greek or a hermman's and especially a hermann's but I'm biased there. (having an Eastern Hermann's myself. He's got such a personality.) I prefer smaller torts but they still require quite a bit of room in my opinion. I would just be really really careful with the dogs. >.< There are such horror stories with dogs and torts out there. I wouldn't put chickens in with tortoises, both because tortoises explore with their mouth usually and could accidentally eat the chicken's poop. Also because the chicken's could feel threatened by the tortoise. Anyway.... If you do get a tortoise remember if you keep it purely outside and it is not tropical it will end up hibernating.

I totally support adopting <3 Good luck with your new little one.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
It would totally be based on where in the world you live...

I mean, if you live in an area of the world that is a temperate climate and the tort can safely remain outdoors----I would absolutely pick a Leopard out of the species you listed (and you already shared your desire for the Sulcata likely at some point :p)...the smaller species to me are more manageable/flexible if you find you must bring them in for harsh freezing winter months--the Hermanns you can set up to brumate during the winter months if yours are harsh....just my line of thinking...:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't like the idea of chickens in the tort pen. It's bad enough that birds poop on the tortoise's food/grass. This, in my opinion, is just one more way for tortoises to get parasites.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
I don't like the idea of chickens in the tort pen. It's bad enough that birds poop on the tortoise's food/grass. This, in my opinion, is just one more way for tortoises to get parasites.

Good call Yvonne…..also the dogs (even though small) can and will be a danger to your tortoise too~ unless very well trained.:rolleyes:

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I live in south central Texas if that helps. It's pretty stinkin' hot and prone to drought.
And I see the point about chicken poop and possible parasites. Yuck.

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Oh and I have read enough on here not to trust even a perfect dog around a tortoise unsupervised. I can see where the shell would be a temptation for chewing. Not good.

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

The plans for the chickens is to have them in pasture with a mobile hen house to move to various points at pasture. Ill take whatever measures I have to, to keep pesky birds of any variety out of the tort areas. Would fake snakes and owls work? Lol

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

There really should be a "like" or "high five" feature for when we really like or appreciate someone's responses in the forum. I'm always seeing things I'd like to "like" lol (too much fb I guess)

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Status
Not open for further replies.