What are the deets for “overwintering”?

Jackiemuscat

Location (City and/or State)
Northampton
I’ve been overwintering my marginated tortoise since I got him in April 2020, however I think I’ve not adapted his indoor enclosure enough.

Can anyone run through the changes I need to make to temp and UV over the winter months?

I’m in the UK and he’s in his indoor glass door enclosure 24/7 (as in of course we let him out but he doesn’t have an outdoor enclosure + indoor enclosure)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’ve been overwintering my marginated tortoise since I got him in April 2020, however I think I’ve not adapted his indoor enclosure enough.

Can anyone run through the changes I need to make to temp and UV over the winter months?

I’m in the UK and he’s in his indoor glass door enclosure 24/7 (as in of course we let him out but he doesn’t have an outdoor enclosure + indoor enclosure)
Unless you have a custom made monstrosity of some sort, there is no glass cage large enough for a 3.5 year old margie.

Check this out:

More deets here:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He needs a good sized room for an enclosure that is dedicated to just him. Not a glass aquarium. He also should not be roaming the floors of your house.

Reactions: Tom