monica p

Location (City and/or State)
California
I'm looking for input on overwintering my 7 year old Marginated tortoise. Since climate matters -- I live in San Francisco where our night temperatures dip into the mid-40s F, and winter daytime temps are usually 50s/low 60s F. Minimal rain, definitely some cold wind, but a good portion of the winter is sunny days.

I got my tortoise last winter when her owners gave her up, they said they never hibernated her so I didn't either. I kept her inside then because she was new. Now she lives outside, and I want to make sure we do overwintering right (I know it's controversial but I've decided hibernation is too risky and I want to avoid it again this year).

Her habitat is a large garden with lots of rocks and edible plants. Her hutch has a heat lamp in one corner that stays at 85 F in the day and drops to 70 at night. She usually heads into her hutch on her own before sundown, and we lock her in overnight to keep her safe from raccoons. There's an outdoor basking lamp so she can get UV light on days when it's overcast.

Since she has heat sources 24 hours and our climate never gets that cold during the day, I'm inclined to let her keep living her life as usual. I'd bring her indoors during any particularly rainy or cold (highs below 55) spells.

Could anyone weigh in on if that sounds acceptable for winter or if there's anything they would change? I know hibernation is natural for the species, but I'd really have to force it here since our temperature range is slightly warmer than what feels like winter to Marginated torts. If anyone has experience in a similar climate I would love to hear what they do! Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't have a marinated but I do have a Russian that normally would also hibernate and I have never done that. It's not needed if you don't want too.
Your temps and enclosure sounds good to me.

monica p

California
I don't have a marinated but I do have a Russian that normally would also hibernate and I have never done that. It's not needed if you don't want too.
Your temps and enclosure sounds good to me.
Thank you! Glad to know I'm on the right track.