Constant sleeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilovetorts123

5 Year Member
I had my horsefield yesterday and called him Noah he was given to me in a cardboard box and didn't seem to like it, we let him out and he had a little walk when the vivarium was all set up we put him in there with food and water he hasn't touched it all yesterday or today and he's stayed in one corner the hole time just burrying, I've read this may be hibernation, not liking the in closure or him getting used to a new environment. I wanted to know wether I should ring the shop I had him from to ask their advice, is this the right thing to do?ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1378032167.752484.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
He is probably just getting use to his new enclosure. He may not eat for days. Have you researched about the type of tortoise you have? Do you have the proper lighting?.....UVB??
I wish I could help you more!! I am sure someone will reply soon and give you more information. I would not call the store you got him from.....someone will help you on here!!

Do you have any hides for him? He is in the corner and looks like he is trying to hide. You need some plants or something he can go under or into so he feels safe. That is very important!!
Also, do you know the temps? He could be too hot or too cold.

http://russiantortoise.net/care_sheet.htm
I found this link for you. I hope this helps!! :)

mikeh

5 Year Member
Congrats on the new Russian male tortoise. Very first thing I would do is remove that light bulb, its way to close to the tortoise, my head would be underground too to avoid that blinding light. The light should be mounted above, not on the side at eye level. If its a compact fluorescent spiral it may be bothering his eyes. These bulbs are known to cause blindness. You want to look for fluorescent tube UVB, the long type.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
What are you using for bedding?
It looks like potting soil in the picture

Or is it just well seeded? :)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Definitely give him a hidey-spot of some sort and leave him be, other than keeping fresh food and clean water available...Russians a bold little critters and he'll likely be exploring his new home soon (less than a week). :cool:

The information offered about lighting is spot-on, as well.

Ilovetorts123

5 Year Member
Thank you for all the help, my mom was worried too so rang the shop and the told up to heat lamp was not strong enough he has been happier since but still likes that corner
Answers:
His bedding came in the starter pack from the shop
He has a hideout but chooses not to use it

Also I sound very paranoid but could he hibernate if he doesn't eat? I have read that you shouldn't hibernate them within 12 months of having him, I've had Him 2 days and worried he may hibernate?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side and basking spot? He should not try to hibernate if your temps and lighting are correct.

Sadly, most pet shops give terrible tortoise advice. There are some notable exceptions, but most are awful.

Here is a good diet sheet. You can also navigate around the rest of that site.
http://russiantortoise.net/russiantortoisediet.htm

Ilovetorts123

5 Year Member
The shop only gave me one thermometer it is in the coolest part of the vivarium and reads about 27 degrees centigrade

Status
Not open for further replies.