Behavior of new arrival 6 mo old Russian

ShaunG

Location (City and/or State)
Fredericksburg, VA
I just received my first tortoise yesterday, a 6 month old russian tortoise. Yesterday he seemed pretty active after we unboxed him. He was a little cool, so we warmed him up in a nice soaking before putting him in his enclosure. We had some fresh greens for him, and he went straight to it and had a decent meal. Then he cruised around and ended up basking for the rest of the day. Today he hasn't been very active. We gave him another soaking and some more greens. He has stayed in the basking area, but has buried himself up to just having the top of his shell exposed. I tried to entice him to eat, but he only took a few bites of a clover flower and went back to his basking area. He's currently back to being buried half way up his shell. The lights are about to go off (12 hour timer). I'm just curious if this is normal behavior, or if I need to watch his activity level. We haven't seen him go to the bathroom yet, either.

Thanks for any advice!

KaylaG89

Texas
I just received my first tortoise yesterday, a 6 month old russian tortoise. Yesterday he seemed pretty active after we unboxed him. He was a little cool, so we warmed him up in a nice soaking before putting him in his enclosure. We had some fresh greens for him, and he went straight to it and had a decent meal. Then he cruised around and ended up basking for the rest of the day. Today he hasn't been very active. We gave him another soaking and some more greens. He has stayed in the basking area, but has buried himself up to just having the top of his shell exposed. I tried to entice him to eat, but he only took a few bites of a clover flower and went back to his basking area. He's currently back to being buried half way up his shell. The lights are about to go off (12 hour timer). I'm just curious if this is normal behavior, or if I need to watch his activity level. We haven't seen him go to the bathroom yet, either.

Thanks for any advice!
I’m dealing with the same thing with our new little girl! We’ve had her for about a week and she’s doing the same thing. She stays buried more than she is exposed. I hope you get the answer for this! I’m worried about her but don’t want to overwhelm or stress her out by constantly messing with her and her home.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
What are the temps for your Russian and can you include photos. Mine poops a titanic poop every fews days in his soak and it is so stinky. Loves to bask and bury himself most of the way under a giant pot so I can pull him out to restart the day. Russians are not "Show Torts" they are grumpy old bastages that will steal your heart! Good luck

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I have four tortoises, one of them a Russian... all of them took time getting used to their new surroundings and were quite shy until they were.

Daily soaks, keeping the temps in his optimal range, providing a nice variety of appropriate foods, and they'll come around in a few weeks....

Jamie

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Keep in mind babies are easy prey in the wild, it's normal for them to hide a lot while they are little. As long as they are being soaked frequently, eating, and pooping all should be ok.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Thanks for any advice!
Sounds like normal baby behavior to me.

Three main factors:
  1. Babies hide a lot to avoid predation. Once you've had a good meal, no need to expose your self to predators.
  2. Tortoises don't like being moved. It takes time for them to get used to a new area.
  3. Its winter. The tortoise knows it is time to hibernate, even if you don't intend to hibernate it.

KaylaG89

Texas
Sounds like normal baby behavior to me.

Three main factors:
  1. Babies hide a lot to avoid predation. Once you've had a good meal, no need to expose your self to predators.
  2. Tortoises don't like being moved. It takes time for them to get used to a new area.
  3. Its winter. The tortoise knows it is time to hibernate, even if you don't intend to hibernate it.
Thank you so much for this! She’s eating great, using the restroom, etc. I did notice the line that goes down her shell from head to tail, it’s a little raised in the front half only her shell, is this normal?

KaylaG89

Texas
What are the temps for your Russian and can you include photos. Mine poops a titanic poop every fews days in his soak and it is so stinky. Loves to bask and bury himself most of the way under a giant pot so I can pull him out to restart the day. Russians are not "Show Torts" they are grumpy old bastages that will steal your heart! Good luck
My temps are staying around 95-100F humidity goes between 55-65. At night the temp gets to about 70-F oh yes, I have yet to find poop in her home, she does the same thing, every other day or so in her soak. I redid her home so I will take pics and post them for you in a bit :)

KaylaG89

Texas
Keep in mind babies are easy prey in the wild, it's normal for them to hide a lot while they are little. As long as they are being soaked frequently, eating, and pooping all should be ok.
She’s eating, and pooping normal! And to my surprise, when I gently pet her shell, she pops her head out really far and let’s me pet her neck.

KaylaG89

Texas

Thanks for any advice!
Omg! I’m so sorry, I just realized I was responding to your answers not on my profile ‍♀️ Haha I was scrolling through making sure I responded to everyone and realized ... oh crap! Again, I’m so sorry! Lol