constipation

Denise peplow

Hi my name is Denise. I have had two horsfield tortoises for aprox 5 years just love them but one of them has always caused us a little trouble with his feeding and drinking. The last time I took him to the vet but although he tried he did not really know what to do it was trai and error and dreadfully expensive. Eric is now causing me some concern as he has not passed any faeces for a couple of weeks and is now very quiet and not eating. I am soaking him at least twice a day and would be grateful if someone could give me some advice. Thanks

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Switzerland
Hi Denise, I am sorry to hear you are having problems.

How exactly are you keeping them? Are they together, what do you feed them and what is their enclosure like?

Him being less active might have something to do with the colder temperatures, but it might also be due to his constipation ot other things.

If they are being kept together maybe the one with the problems could be bullied by the other one.

Denise peplow

Hi thanks for your reply I keep them in separate viva and we has problems with aggression. The substrate I use is the one bought from a reptile shape supposedly especially for tortoises little clippings of wood and I do think this might be the problem. I have noticed that he pulls his food out of his tray and it is possible he is eating som in his haste to get his food and he's is usually very greedy any hints would be gratefully received. Thanks

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
I am still a beginner so I won't be able to help you a lot, you better wait for the real experts. You said this has happened before. Did this also happen during the fall and what exactly did the vet do/try?

Ingesting substrate could cause a blockage.

Alaskamike

South Florida
If you suspect the substrata I would change it. Coco- cor or orchard bark works well. Go with your gut on this.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). When you soak him, put him in a large enclosure, like the bath tub. Use warm water and let him walk all around the tub. The movement will sometimes help to get things moving through. Also, if you are in a cold location, double check,the temps. In colder weather, they do seem to slow down a bit and you have to remember to possibly bump up the temps as it won't hold the same temp in the winter as it does in the summer. Also feeding foods that carries more water in it may also help, things like cucumber, romaine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Denise, and welcome to the Forum!

Denise peplow

Thank you all for your replys. I am going to try them all especially the bathtub as the container I use is only small and he can't move around. I will change the substrate back to bark which i used previously but found that difficult to buy but this time I will persevere and get a stronger bulb to try to warm him up. His usual diet does include plenty of watery. Products but have not used roamaine but will get some asap. Thanks again

Denise peplow

I am still a beginner so I won't be able to help you a lot, you better wait for the real experts. You said this has happened before. Did this also happen during the fall and what exactly did the vet do/try?

Ingesting substrate could cause a blockage.
I am reasonably sure this is the problem. The last time I took him to the vet
It cost shed loads of money and all he did was inject vitamins and warm water baths so I am going to try to go it alone until I can do no more then I will try to find a vet who is used to dealing with reptiles even if I have to travel

puffy137

My herd of Greeks live here in the heat of the Middle East out of doors, They have sandy dirt to live on, which gets sterilized by the broiling sun, & 2 houses filled with dried grass cuttings . Luckily they have never displayed any signs of tummy trouble , I try not to overfeed them & try to keep their food as far from them as possible so they get some exercise . I do feel quite sorry for torts that have to live in unnatural environments , but I guess thats life.

Denise peplow

My herd of Greeks live here in the heat of the Middle East out of doors, They have sandy dirt to live on, which gets sterilized by the broiling sun, & 2 houses filled with dried grass cuttings . Luckily they have never displayed any signs of tummy trouble , I try not to overfeed them & try to keep their food as far from them as possible so they get some exercise . I do feel quite sorry for torts that have to live in unnatural environments , but I guess thats life.
I do agree with you on the unnatural environments but as I have them I want to do the best I can for them I do try to let them live outside during the summerThey were born in England and I try my best to give them space in the summer but as I live in the south of England once September arrives they would not live through the evenings so they have to live in vivs this is when the trouble starts they do ingest some of the substrate. I will change to bark but need to get Eric well first.

puffy137

Hmm , as a child in Devon we had one tortoise that 'hibernated ' in the greenhouse through the winter months, ( never knew the word brumate till a few weeks ago ) lol. Why not get some nice sand or earth which you could make sure is sterilized by putting it in the oven for a while. In my humble opinion that would be the best substrate( another new word ) lol, for creatures who naturally live in the ground.:D

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Denise welcome to the TFO from AZ . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Madelaine

5 Year Member
Hi Denise,
One of my star have the similar situation. He loss of appetite about 3 weeks and constipation for few days. Seen by vet and x-ray taken with some shadow over the abdomen. At this moment, the vet said that he may eat some rubbish like foil paper (never use foil paper before) or my be due to stone. Now, i change to newspaper as the substrate (suggested by vet). Force- feedind dailt to maintain the nutrition. Some drug is prescribed by vet to relieve the constipation. He will increase the appetite if he passes the stool.