Contageous bacteria?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meka

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio, USA
Do tortoises from different parts of the world carry different bacterias that tortoises from a differnt area can get? I have sulcatas and a redfoot and was looking in to getting a nice little hermanns, but was told that they carry bacteria that they are immune to, but can be dangerous to the other torts. They of course would not be housed together but would come in contact with one another. Could this make my current tortoises sick or even vise versa with my torts getting a new one sick?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Why would your tortoises be coming in contact with each other?
If you are talking a WC tortoise, most definately they come with specific pathogens that other species of tortoises would never have come in contact with.
Even if you are talking CB you don't know what the breeder or the dealer has done with the hatchlings.
Most species need very different living conditions that other species wouldn't find to their liking.
Yes this could make your current tortoises sick or make the new tortoise sick. Thats why you need a quarantine period for all new tortoises. You should always take care of a new tortoise last as that will cut down on the possibility of transmitting something to your already established tortoises.

Danny

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Your torts should not come in contact with each other. They say that many can carry things that are transferrable to each other that is not harmful to themselves. Many people change shoes before walking into different outdoor enclosures. I always wash my hands before touching anything in a different enclosure. Not worth the risk!

Dee

Meka

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio, USA
Where I live, the tortoise must be inside in the winter. I allow them to run around the house when I am here to watch them, and I didn't know if they could walk around together and such. I realize there should always be a long quarantine time when you have a new tortoise. Just looking at the big picture overall if if there would be a risk.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi,
You really shouldn't let your tortoises roam around the house together. It might be alright if they all have their own seperate areas.
All my tortoises are inside for the winter. I don't ever let them roam around the house. The floor is much to cold for them.
Yes there could be a very big risk in doing that.

Danny

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Meka said:
Where I live, the tortoise must be inside in the winter. I allow them to run around the house when I am here to watch them, and I didn't know if they could walk around together and such. I realize there should always be a long quarantine time when you have a new tortoise. Just looking at the big picture overall if if there would be a risk.

Tell me Meka..

Do you ever clean your floors?

How do you do it? Ever use any chemicals or soap, etc.? [ what else is on the floor? ]

Do I need to go further?

AND - Yes.. all tortoises have their own "bugs" in their belly! Why do you think we have to get shots to go to a different country?

KEEP YOUR TORTS OFF OF THE FLOOR! That's all the yelling I'll do.. thank you.

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.