Contradicting vets

Hurcules_sulcata

So I took Hercules for a follow up visit, after her dog bite, to a closer vet and she said that I should stop using the pain meds, the antibiotic ointment, taking it outside is fine, and the humidity is to high (85-90%). On the other hand the emergency pet hospital said everything the exact opposite of her. Both have sulcata the emergency vet has a 32 year old and the other vet has an 11 year old. I don't know which side to pick. What do yall say.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
You know I'm going to say the oldest is always right , but we know it's hard to teach a old dog ( man ) new tricks or new ways . I would follow the TFO 's way . But you have to do what your heart says ! Good luck !

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
So they each have Sulcatas? I'm in essence raising up my vet for tortoises and now she has 3. I've the medical reference material when she needs information. It comes down to what health the tortoises of each vet is if that's a deciding factor.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
There is no down side to 85% humidity as long as you keep the temperature up. Also no potential harm from a antibiotic ointment applied externally.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like the emergency pet people are more up to date and the other vet is quoting the old ways that we now know are all wrong.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
So much more is understood now.
have you read any "old" tortoise keeping books?
They are full of facts that are simply wrong.
Most of what we know is recent.
Most of what I know is recent.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Go with your gut, what you see with your own eyes and with what makes more sense!! Some vets are open about hearing this new fangled stuff, some are dead set in their ways. I love my vet but there are some things I don't agree with him on (and will tell him and do my own thing.) He is older and very set in some of his ways!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I like to point out the tortoise on the cover of this veterinarian reference guide ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1435857405.190426.jpg