Convincing Parents for a bigger Habitat...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseAddict

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I hsve had Jenny in a 55gallon stock tank for a while and i just think its not good enough for well... her. Im only 14 and i ask my parents for a bigger stock tank or just an enclosure on the grass but they say she is in a big enough enclosure and we dont need anything else.. i have the money for a bigger stock tank but they are refusing that i get a bigger 1.this is her habitat and Jenny is about id say 2 inches maybe 3 long?

DSCN1490.jpg

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I think it's a good size personally for her age. But bigger is always better IMO. Just make sure you are at least taking her outside so she can roam the yard once in a while and she is getting enough humidity, diet and exercise.

TortoiseAddict

5 Year Member
Texas
i dont trust in letting her roam though since we have a pool i dont want her to fall in and i have a dog....

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Can you put the dog inside and then just sit on the grass and watch her? Nothing cuter than a little tortie acting like a big tortie!! It's very relaxing to watch her walk and chomp, do your parents use any products on the lawn? If so bad idea to let her on the grass!!

TortoiseAddict

5 Year Member
Texas
well no we don't use any products we used fire ant killer like a month ago but im sure thats worn off...

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
TortoiseAddict said:
well no we don't use any products we used fire ant killer like a month ago but im sure thats worn off...

You should be fine then. You don't have to be out there long...maybe 20-30 minutes. It will be better for her and you can save your $$.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
2 inches? she looks more like 4 at least. .
I think her enviroment looks too dry. She needs plants,
sunken water bowl, grass.
Change her substrate to something that can grow things..

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Its a Good Size For Now, But you can take her out and let her Roam, If you keep a eye on her

TortoiseAddict

5 Year Member
Texas
Laura said:
2 inches? she looks more like 4 at least. .
I think her enviroment looks too dry. She needs plants,
sunken water bowl, grass.
Change her substrate to something that can grow things..

o dont worry i am changing her substrate to cypress mulch and what plants do you think i should plant? and i am also getting a new water bowl at the gardening store when i get the cypress tomorrow :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Connor:

Did you measure the tortoise in a straight line front to back? I think your stock tank is an ok size for now. It looks like you have it outside, and that's good. The sides are nice and high, so you don't have to get rid of your substrate, just put more on top of it. Buy some small rose of sharon plants or something like that, scrape away the substrate and put the whole pot in the substrate so its resting on the floor of the tub. You can probably take out the hiding place and let her use the plants to hide under. That will give you more room. So, look at lists of edible plants and go to the plant store and buy some edible plants in 6" pots. Maybe three or four ought to do it. Don't take the plants out of the pots, plant pots and all. Then pour a whole pitcher of water, or better yet, haul the garden hose over there and water that substrate!

TortoiseAddict

5 Year Member
Texas
really? i dunno i think i might remove the old substrate since it seems to irritate her and if i keep it in and add the cypress it would be very close to the top and she can escape :/ and alright rose of sharon plants... got it ill make a list when my dad and i go to the store tomorrow :D

o and sorry i forgot to ask how am i supposed to water the plants so they dont die if they pot is stuck under all the substrate...?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
TortoiseAddict said:
really? i dunno i think i might remove the old substrate since it seems to irritate her and if i keep it in and add the cypress it would be very close to the top and she can escape :/ and alright rose of sharon plants... got it ill make a list when my dad and i go to the store tomorrow :D

o and sorry i forgot to ask how am i supposed to water the plants so they dont die if they pot is stuck under all the substrate...?

You can have most of the plants in their pots buried with the tops level with or just under the substrate. As you sprinkle water over the substrate to keep it moist, the plants will get watered. Get some pansies, etc., too, be sure to look at the list of edible plants that Yvonne mentioned and bring the names to the store with you.
You also might want to get a small plastic storage box and turn it upside down for a 'humid hide',cut a door, and put some sphagnum moss in it and keep that moist too. (You can get sphagnum moss in bags where they sell plants).

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would agree for now the enclosure is fine, while bigger is better, you have to work within the confines of your parents rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.