Possible Habitat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseAddict

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
51QLj%2BBrMzL._AA300_.jpg

im thinking of trying to order this from amazon with permission from parents measurements are 24'' W and 23'' H my jenny is like 3 or 4 inches and i think this would work well what do you guys think?

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
What kind of tort is Jenny?

In my opinion, its a fantastic size for a 3-4 inch tortoise. Since it doesn' have a lid, you may have to supervise the tort while she's in there to protect her from hawks, cats, and other pests.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You'll need to fit some sort of visual barrier around the bottom of the whole thing. If a tort can see out, they will constantly try to get out. Even to the point of injuring themselves.

River14

5 Year Member
Yes I agree just from limited experience you need to make sure they cannot lookout at this stage. A small wooden barrier or even tPE WOULD WORK. When you have done this they tuck down and eat grass insted of worrying bout the wold wide habitATE.

River14 said:
Yes I agree just from limited experience you need to make sure they cannot lookout at this stage. A small wooden barrier or even taPE WOULD WORK. When you have done this they tuck down eat grass or bed down instead of worrying bout the wide world.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
needs a barrier.. i used one of those for a quick enclosure for my russian.. he paced and paced.. so made a kiddie pool one.. he still walked the perimeter.. in circles.. but he seemed better in it.
Cardboard around the edge would be a quick easy cheap fix. and a screened top of some sort.. look at hardware cloth. Its a heavier gauge then chicken wire, but still light weight and affordable. you can mold it to fit right over the top. quick and easy and you dont need to be a carpenter!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would also plan to secure it to the ground...posts pounded in the ground to keep is from being moved easily or the little one wedging itself under the fencing....:D

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
I think a kiddie pool would be a lot cheaper and work just as well. You can plant in it and add water to it, just my opinion. But I know those pet pens can be a little pricier than kiddie pools

TortoiseAddict

5 Year Member
Texas
ya i just dont know about using a kiddie pool jenny really likes the grass in our yard ( haha i know) and i think she would really enjoy just grazing on it

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
TortoiseAddict said:
ya i just dont know about using a kiddie pool jenny really likes the grass in our yard ( haha i know) and i think she would really enjoy just grazing on it

True :) It is nice to let the lawn get mowed naturally :p

TortoiseAddict

5 Year Member
Texas
my dad says using this wouldn't be practical in our backyard because we would have to mow the lawn and keep having to move it and the grass would grow to long for her to walk around in :/ what should i do

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tell your dad that you'll keep the grass inside the pen cut down to a nice length.

TortoiseAddict

5 Year Member
Texas
how would i exactly do that? move it when we mow the lawn? put her some where else for that time being?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You'd leave the habitat in place all the time, but you would go in there once a week or so and clip the grass by hand. Or take out the tortoise and use the WeedEater (power grass trimmer).

TortoiseAddict

5 Year Member
Texas
emysemys said:
You'd leave the habitat in place all the time, but you would go in there once a week or so and clip the grass by hand. Or take out the tortoise and use the WeedEater (power grass trimmer).

hmm thanks for the idea :D ill see what he says

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
TortoiseAddict said:
emysemys said:

They do make hand clippers. or could you put it in a garden bed w/o grass? Tell your Dad you will plant some flowers?

TortoiseAddict

5 Year Member
Texas
lynnedit said:
TortoiseAddict said:
emysemys said:

They do make hand clippers. or could you put it in a garden bed w/o grass? Tell your Dad you will plant some flowers?

thanks but we dont really have a garden bed or anything and yes guys it worked my dad was impressed with my perserverance and is letting me order it :D :D :D and now all i need is a new hide since i wont be able to bury it in substrate...

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
thanks but we dont really have a garden bed or anything and yes guys it worked my dad was impressed with my perserverance and is letting me order it :D :D :D and now all i need is a new hide since i wont be able to bury it in substrate...
[/quote]

Good job in hanging in there! Cut one of those black plastic plant pots in 1/2 or 2/3 so you can set it on the grass? Put some sphagnum moss inside? Will he let you put a paver or two for basking?

TortoiseAddict

5 Year Member
Texas
lynnedit said:

Good job in hanging in there! Cut one of those black plastic plant pots in 1/2 or 2/3 so you can set it on the grass? Put some sphagnum moss inside? Will he let you put a paver or two for basking?

[/quote]
uh pavers? like a couple stones to bask on or something can u show a pic

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
You could get a large slate tile from Home Depot to make a basking area, will cost less than $2. Or a flat patio block or stepping stone. Walmart has their blocks on sale right now 75% off, I saw some for $0.43.

The plastic pot idea works great too, just cut it in half. You might be able to find one that someone is throwing away. I would not use a black one though unless it will be in the shade.

Also, you can get some tent stakes to use to keep the enclosure from moving around or getting knocked over. They have that little hook that you could have loop over the bottom piece of wire. Then when you want to move it to a different spot, just pull up the stakes. They are bright yellow and easy to see usually.

TortoiseAddict

5 Year Member
Texas
Kristina said:
You could get a large slate tile from Home Depot to make a basking area, will cost less than $2. Or a flat patio block or stepping stone. Walmart has their blocks on sale right now 75% off, I saw some for $0.43.

The plastic pot idea works great too, just cut it in half. You might be able to find one that someone is throwing away. I would not use a black one though unless it will be in the shade.

Also, you can get some tent stakes to use to keep the enclosure from moving around or getting knocked over. They have that little hook that you could have loop over the bottom piece of wire. Then when you want to move it to a different spot, just pull up the stakes. They are bright yellow and easy to see usually.
alright thanks so i can swing by home depot or walmart t get the tile and i have some plastic pots but i think they might be all black ill double check and i have some tent stakes here. It will also arrive on tuesday so i still got time to get everything :D

Status
Not open for further replies.