Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Tom said:
You'll need to fit some sort of visual barrier around the bottom of the whole thing. If a tort can see out, they will constantly try to get out. Even to the point of injuring themselves.

Sorry Tom, but when I see a comment like this, I shake my head. All of my outside enclosures have wire see thru walls (except for the one housing the two larger sulcata using metal roofinf and then the ones with cement blocks for Leopards and a group of Redfoots.). In my years of having this wire sided style of enclosure (some of them are getting close to 20 years of use), I have not had a tortoise who walks the fence line any more then I see the ones in solid walled enclosures walk them. Same as inside with clear sided enclosures, compared to the dark ones. Of course, my tortoises may just not be normal (as in they may take after their caretaker ;) ).

TortoiseAddict

5 Year Member
Texas
so maybe i dont need the barrier? i think if i just put down tent stakes she wont be able to move it ...

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
TortoiseAddict said:
so maybe i dont need the barrier? i think if i just put down tent stakes she wont be able to move it ...
You won't know until she is in there. Some are obsessed with the edge, some are not (including Jacqui's torts!).
One option is to let the grass just under the wire edge grow up some (you can keep it clipped on either side, and keep from getting too tall). That would make it look kind of natural, help secure the wire edging, and act as a sort of barrier to. Depends on what your Dad prefers.

Status
Not open for further replies.