Convincing parents for bigger enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
I have a russian tortoise, and she lives in a 4'x2' indoor enclosure. And has a three feet diameter kiddie pool enclosure. I convinced them to let me make a hue enclosure outside, but that will only be available in the summer months (roughly 3 months). Her enclosure is in my room, and is home made. I keep telling them it's too small, but they respond with "she's just a tortoise, they don't need a lot of room." I tell them how they wander for miles in the wild, but at that point they ignore me. I would have room in my room for it, but they still don't get it. Is there any other things I can say to let me get a new one? I'm thinking a 6'x2.5' book shelf turned over with the shelves taken out. But then mu dad asks what I would do with the old enclosure.
Oh, i would also be able to pay for it. And I know, I shouldn't have gotten a tortoise if this was how it would be, but I didn't know they would be like this. Any help or suggestions?

Sent from my Ipod using the tortoiseforum app

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
You can make the old enclosure into a "top floor" for the new one!!!

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
Saleama said:
You can make the old enclosure into a "top floor" for the new one!!!

That'd be awesome! But I need to convince them for the new part first lol

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
So I tried talking about it. I tried being calm but their stubbornness created an escalation in the argument.

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
Can you work to earn it?
What is their main issue aside from space?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Let things cool down first. Then, tell them you are trying to be a responsible tortoise owner and all the reading and searching you have been doing, to be that responsible tortoise owner, points to the fact he needs a bigger enclosure. Of course, keep calm and respectful. If all else fails, wait for Christmas and ask for it as a Christmas gift.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
Irwin4530 said:
Can you work to earn it?
What is their main issue aside from space?

That's what I asked them... They had no answer for that. Space isn't really even an issue, it will fit in my room if I just rearrange my room a bit.

wellington said:
Let things cool down first. Then, tell them you are trying to be a responsible tortoise owner and all the reading and searching you have been doing, to be that responsible tortoise owner, points to the fact he needs a bigger enclosure. Of course, keep calm and respectful. If all else fails, wait for Christmas and ask for it as a Christmas gift.

I think I will end up having to ask for it at christmas time. I guess it will be my gift and my tortoises lol.

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
There has to be a way! Keep at it!!
Stay calm and have your solutions ready for each "complaint" they may have.
Show them you are determined and knowledgeable and acting in the best interest of another

Best of luck! Keep us posted

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
Map out the conversation in your head. If anything write your answers down. My mother can be the same way. my biggest issue was it's expensive. I paid for everything and now I am getting a baby Box turtle of my dreams. Just like your parents, torts like a larger house. They get bored of the same thing over and over and not having room to wander can cause the tort to become obese and lazy.

"just a tortoise the don't need a lot of room" So your parents wouldn't feel cramped in an apartment? If anything look at them and say mom, dad, what are your qualms? I have the room, the resources, and the time to put into making this tort a better enclosure and all I get is no. May I know the real reason behind the no?

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Looking at your climate, you could have your Russian outdoors May-September without any heat 24/7. New York has a similar climate to the UK despite being much more southern, and the keepers here of Russians have them out without heat April-October. If you could have a small set up for a month or two either side of hibernation, your problems may be solved.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I feel your frustration, but man, there is no way for any of us to know the best way for you to interact with your parents. Any well intentioned suggestion might makes things worse and cause your parents to dig their heels in just to prove a point.

Most of the time being calm, reasonable and respectful will eventually win out.

I hope you succeed eventually. Good luck.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I have sort of an update. I had a new outdoor enclosure idead. My dad said we would run it along the fence/hous which would make it a traingular shape. That would make it 20' long but only3' wide at most. So I had an idead to just build it off of the porch and make a rectangle. I got out the tape measure and I showed him how big it would be. I said 8'x6'. And then he suggested just 10'x10'. So I'm really excited for next spring. So will this size of an enclosure during the warm months make up for the smaller indoor enclosure?

Sent from my iPod touch using TortForum mobile app

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
A 10x10 should be fantastic.

Have you guys thought about how you will build it? If you want some tips for the frame and/or decorating let me know ;)

Sent from my TFOapp

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Awesome. You might also want to remember that it is their house and their rules and if you push too much in the wrong way, their solution might be to make you get rid of your little buddy. Don't push to hard. You will get there. I don't know of any parents that don't want their kids excited about something. When they see you want this as more than just a passing thing, they will come around.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Great news. Yes, having a larger outdoor enclosure for the warmer months will more than make up for winter inside.

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
That's fantastic! Its so exciting to see someone young that want what's best for their tort! So many never think past a ten-gallon setup.

You are an awesome person.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
Team Gomberg said:
A 10x10 should be fantastic.

Have you guys thought about how you will build it? If you want some tips for the frame and/or decorating let me know ;)

Sent from my TFOapp

I'm not sure if we have a plan. The only thing my dad told me was I'll need to get pressure treated wood, and I said some cement pavers to prevent her from escaping by burrowing. I kinda have some decoration ideas. But I'm open to more!

Saleama said:
Awesome. You might also want to remember that it is their house and their rules and if you push too much in the wrong way, their solution might be to make you get rid of your little buddy. Don't push to hard. You will get there. I don't know of any parents that don't want their kids excited about something. When they see you want this as more than just a passing thing, they will come around.

Yeah, I quit trying to push for the large indoor enclosure. They just kept getting upset. But you're right about the excitement, when they saw how dedicated I was to the research to a tortoise, they realized I was never going to let it go. That's how I got her!

lynnedit said:
Great news. Yes, having a larger outdoor enclosure for the warmer months will more than make up for winter inside.

Awesome. That's great to hear.

Beck said:
That's fantastic! Its so exciting to see someone young that want what's best for their tort! So many never think past a ten-gallon setup.

You are an awesome person.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

Thank you! I want what's best for my shelled friend.

And just one more thing. I need advice, the enclosure has a built in hide, and light only gets into the doorway. She slept for two and a half days straight inside it, and would've continued if I didn't wake her up. I think she isn't seeing the lights come on. So would it be better to take out that wall and put in a log or pot hide? Which would be better to do?

jeffstort

5 Year Member
You could say you're tortoise needs a new crib to impress the ladies

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Or do what I do I tell my wife how many men bet on sports , go to bars , go out with the guys , my bad habits have 4legs and a shell , I could be worse. :)

txturtle13

5 Year Member
Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
Or do what I do I tell my wife how many men bet on sports , go to bars , go out with the guys , my bad habits have 4legs and a shell , I could be worse. :)

Haha my husband uses a similar excuse do his hobbies/off road vehicles! Hard to argue

Status
Not open for further replies.