Convincing Parents Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussianSlider4

5 Year Member
So after watching some Youtube videos, I've came to the conclusion that I would LOVE to have a Russian Tortoise! I go on Craigslist and see this one listed about 30 minutes away from me.
http://chambersburg.craigslist.org/for/2587706189.html

The problem is, my mom would be SO against it. I'm a college student living in my parents basement (local university) My GF and I have 1 RES that we have at my girlfriends house and my mom is against me bringing it home. I have a whole basement to myself, my room, the cellar door room, and an extra storage room. How can I convince my mom to allow me to have a tortoise? I would realllllly love to have it.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D

Well, as a mother :p I would have your priors to deal with, interests in a ton of other things then loss of interest...is this you? yes/no? If no, then perhaps you can ease into it by showing you have done lots of research on the tortoise species you are wanting, show that you are taking a practical approach...AND be sure this is what you are really wanting to partake in...tortoise do take a bit of tweaking in habitat/diet/lighting costs, etc. Maybe she has concern she will be left to care for the tortoise when you move out?? Just some thoughts :D

I of course know that you can not MAKE someone do what you want, but you can figure away to share your thoughts and desires with your Mum, you know her by now :D

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Even without being a mother, I have to agree with ascott. There are a lot of costs to consider - can you cover them all as a college student? Do you pay your own rent to justify using the space in her home, and would you be able to find a suitable home when you move out?

I think if you've researched, and you're sure you can provide a suitable home, and are paying rent if it's going to be within her home, it's time to sit down and have a long chat to explain the care in detail! :)

Good luck!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Wait a couple years until you're out on your own, there's no rush.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Just hold your breath until you turn blue & eventually she'll give in... or you'll pass out... either way welcome to the forum! :)

RussianSlider4

5 Year Member
Thanks to everyone! But no I do not pay rent for living here and I currently have 2 part time jobs so cost of the supplies and everything are not a problem. And it's not that she doesnt think I have the responsibility, she just doesn't like any reptile.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi RussianSlider4:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Does your mother come down into your space very often? You can reassure her that the tortoise will stay in its enclosure and she won't have to have any contact with it.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
So all reptiles get a bad rap from her, huh? Would it help to show her pictures of especially hatchling tortoises. Get her with the cute? Do you have a plan to show her how you will keep it and not allow it to escape or become her problem? Might also point out that the Russian your wanting only eats plants.

Side note: I don't think my children ever had any problems convincing me to let them have whatever kind of animal it might have been. You know what is super hard to do? Convincing your children that you the parent should get a new tortoise. ;)

RussianSlider4

5 Year Member
Yup, i contacted the owner of the Tort on CL and got some pictures of him. I made a nice powerpoint explaining their living arrangements, their diet (veggies, no live animals), how they have no stink, and how their relatively low maintenance. Also, I added the video of the Russian chasing the tomato and the Russian hatchling eating the lettuce. I'm going to present it tonight, hopefully I'll be a part of this forum here soon! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Russianslider4:

You can still be a part of the forum without having a tortoise. Tortoise ownership isn't a prerequisite to joining! :p

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
RussianSlider4 said:
Yup, i contacted the owner of the Tort on CL and got some pictures of him. I made a nice powerpoint explaining their living arrangements, their diet (veggies, no live animals), how they have no stink, and how their relatively low maintenance. Also, I added the video of the Russian chasing the tomato and the Russian hatchling eating the lettuce. I'm going to present it tonight, hopefully I'll be a part of this forum here soon! :)

I will be thinking of you tonight and wishing you the best of luck. You might also want to let them know you have found this most awesome of awesome forums :D to help if you have any questions or problems... or IF your parents have questions they want answered.

Like Yvonne said, even without a tortoise, your welcome to be a part of this forum. :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
RussianSlider4 said:

Wow, if that does not work, you certainly did your best! Add in that you are sort of helping an unwanted creature (nice of you to look on CL), and that you can get a used bookcase and turn it on its side for a tort table!
They are a long term commitment, but I believe easier to find housing for than warm blooded animals.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
AnthonyC said:
Just hold your breath until you turn blue & eventually she'll give in... or you'll pass out... either way welcome to the forum! :)

Lol :)

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
And hey, if you don't pay rent, why not offer to start? :D

Just a small amount, to appease her. :p

(Note: This is not bribery...honest!)

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
RussianSlider4 said:
Thanks to everyone! But no I do not pay rent for living here and I currently have 2 part time jobs so cost of the supplies and everything are not a problem. And it's not that she doesnt think I have the responsibility, she just doesn't like any reptile.

I was going to tell you it's easier to appologize than ask for permission, but if your mom has a reptile phobia, that's a different proposition. You can try telling her about the vegetarian thing, but please remember that phobias are beyond reason. You can't educate a person out of their phobias. If your mom has a reptile phobia, be kind to her and wait to get a tortoise after you move out. And then don't be surprised if she never visits you :)

RussianSlider4

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone again. It's nice to be so welcomed in a forum. It's hard to find that anymore. Well, I gave the presentation and my mom looked like she was thinking about it, and my dad will try to talk her into it. She just had a few questions, like why does the owner want rid of it, and what household diseases can Tortoises carry/spread to humans etc. I know with water turtles, you can get salmonella. But I don't have a clue with tortoises. Any inputs?

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
You probably run a bigger risk of contracting samonella from chicken or a soft fried egg than a tortoise.

RussianSlider4

5 Year Member
forget it... my parents said no. they didn't get to tell me why because I ran downstairs pissed off at them. lol. i guess i'll just have to wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.