any younger tortoise owners ever had trouble convincing their parents to let them get stuff?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
I'm a younger user of this forum, and my parents are very stubborn when it comes to me buying stuff for my sully. They usually think that I'm over reacting or something when I tell them that I need to buy a new heat lamp because my other one shattered. I literally had to ask for a few months to get a new bulb lol. (I'm using my own money). I finally convinced my dad to help me build a new enclosure after lucky started getting stuck in the door of his hide, but that took a lot of convincing. I was wondering if anyone else has had these problems?

daniellenc

Maryland
My tort is actually my sons. As a parent if I agree to allowing a new family member in it's my responsibility to make sure we all research and do the best. That's how you teach your kids about responsible ownership. You should ask your parents to read some of the stickied threads here on sully's. Then they can educate themselves instead of listening to you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We've had younger kids here trying to convince their parents into getting a tortoise. I also remember one other that was in the same boat as you.
I don't believe parents should teach their kids how to poorly take care of an animal. That's just wrong and neglectful.
Like mentioned above and I believe I said this to you before, try to get them to read this forums info. Do it together with them. Another thing that might help is to offer to do more things around the house for them to earn the new items you need. I, as the adult, always took on the responsibility to monitor or care for our animals. Not only am I the one that wanted it probably more then my son, but most kids get bored quickly with the care. They just want the fun play times with the animal. This way I always new right away if/when my son wasn't doing it. Your parents should be proud that you want to be so responsible to care for and use your own money to care for your tort. Also, if you can get your tortoise outside for a half hour or so daily, you can save on the use of a UVB light and take advantage of the free, better UVB from the sun. Just be sure to provide shade and water. This too might make it easier to convince them your not just trying to throw your money away.
Keep trying, your tortoise appreciates the best care possible even though they can't really express it.

AmberD

Ontario
I agree with the above comments. Being the child, then young adult with a love for animals, I always had some sort of pet. I started work at 14 at a local pet store and therefore always have had some sort of pet. I used my own money to purchase things for them and if I needed help I helped my parents around the house etc. Now as a parent myself, I want my son to grow up learning to properly look after his pets too and if he wants something he can do simple chores, like keep his room clean etc (he's 5)
I agree your parents should be proud you are willing to put your own money and time to look after your little one. Many children and young adults get bored easily with care and just want the fun part, so it's great you are working so hard at making sure your tort has a great home. Good job :)

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I'm an adult and my husband thinks it is silly when I put in improvements for Charlie. He thinks I'm coddling him. (Like my own parents saying I was spoiling my babies when I picked them up when they cried.)

I think it is admirable that you are trying to be a responsible pet owner. Just keep convincing your parents what your tort needs. If necessary, show them this forum.

Have you thought about what will happen to your sully if and when you go away to school?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Don't think poorly of the parents ! Kids get tired of things fast . Maybe the parents think that if they make you work on them they can install determination in you . Remember there isn't a handbook for kids . You can only do your best and love them !

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Don't think poorly of the parents ! Kids get tired of things fast . Maybe the parents think that if they make you work on them they can install determination in you . Remember there isn't a handbook for kids . You can only do your best and love them !
Maybe lol

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I'm an adult and my husband thinks it is silly when I put in improvements for Charlie. He thinks I'm coddling him. (Like my own parents saying I was spoiling my babies when I picked them up when they cried.)

I think it is admirable that you are trying to be a responsible pet owner. Just keep convincing your parents what your tort needs. If necessary, show them this forum.

Have you thought about what will happen to your sully if and when you go away to school?
Thank you! I have thought of that, actually, and I believe that I don't live super far from the college I'm planning to go to, but by then he'll be about 7 years old lol. I live on a 3 acre property, and we have lots of space for an outdoor enclosure :)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
We've had younger kids here trying to convince their parents into getting a tortoise. I also remember one other that was in the same boat as you.
I don't believe parents should teach their kids how to poorly take care of an animal. That's just wrong and neglectful.
Like mentioned above and I believe I said this to you before, try to get them to read this forums info. Do it together with them. Another thing that might help is to offer to do more things around the house for them to earn the new items you need. I, as the adult, always took on the responsibility to monitor or care for our animals. Not only am I the one that wanted it probably more then my son, but most kids get bored quickly with the care. They just want the fun play times with the animal. This way I always new right away if/when my son wasn't doing it. Your parents should be proud that you want to be so responsible to care for and use your own money to care for your tort. Also, if you can get your tortoise outside for a half hour or so daily, you can save on the use of a UVB light and take advantage of the free, better UVB from the sun. Just be sure to provide shade and water. This too might make it easier to convince them your not just trying to throw your money away.
Keep trying, your tortoise appreciates the best care possible even though they can't really express it.
Thank you! I do try to get him outside as often as possible :). At the moment I'm trying to build a covered tortoise table for as cheap as possible. If I can't get my dad to help me soon, I might have to learn some new wood working skills lol.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you! I do try to get him outside as often as possible :). At the moment I'm trying to build a covered tortoise table for as cheap as possible. If I can't get my dad to help me soon, I might have to learn some new wood working skills lol.
Well, we can help you on that too.

Tortski

Arizona
I'm a younger user of this forum, and my parents are very stubborn when it comes to me buying stuff for my sully. They usually think that I'm over reacting or something when I tell them that I need to buy a new heat lamp because my other one shattered. I literally had to ask for a few months to get a new bulb lol. (I'm using my own money). I finally convinced my dad to help me build a new enclosure after lucky started getting stuck in the door of his hide, but that took a lot of convincing. I was wondering if anyone else has had these problems?
I've had issues with my parents too. My tortoise had a bump for about a year, and they never wanted him to go to a vet. A week or two ago he scraped the bump off, and still they didn't want to take him, he was bleeding and even flesh (or whatever is under scales) showing. They wouldn't even let me clean out his cage to make sure the wound wouldn't get infected. Luckily, bandaids were able to cover it enough, and now he has a small scab, and some new scales! I still have no idea what that bump was, but the people on here helped me through it!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I've had issues with my parents too. My tortoise had a bump for about a year, and they never wanted him to go to a vet. A week or two ago he scraped the bump off, and still they didn't want to take him, he was bleeding and even flesh (or whatever is under scales) showing. They wouldn't even let me clean out his cage to make sure the wound wouldn't get infected. Luckily, bandaids were able to cover it enough, and now he has a small scab, and some new scales! I still have no idea what that bump was, but the people on here helped me through it!
That's good. Parents are way too stubborn at times ;-;

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
These situations are why I never support talking parents into allowing a pet into the house. If they aren't excited about it and need to be talked into it, it will not be in the best interest of the animal.