Coolest turtle, ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerards

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I am all about this little guy, obsessed even. I know some of you guys think albinos take away, but I can't see how. It's really getting pass that hatchling stage and starting to explore, looking for worms and its been going to is water bowl first thing every morning. I cannot wait to take a picture of a albino hatching one day, hopefully. Thanks for looking, I have definitely drank the EBT koolaid.
9b84d43b66553c0ecbd00bf95508423c.jpg

0852a9af020819346ecd6e908652e5e3.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's almost fluorescent! I love him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That second pic, sooooo cute. Like s/he is ready to take on the nay sayers LOL. very nice, glad you adore him/her.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Gerards said:
I am all about this little guy, obsessed even. I know some of you guys think albinos take away, but I can't see how.

Because albinism is a genetic disorder, that's how. Glad your little guy is doing well, though.

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Gerards said:
I am all about this little guy, obsessed even. I know some of you guys think albinos take away, but I can't see how.

Because albinism is a genetic disorder, that's how. Glad your little guy is doing well, though.

What does that mean exactly? It's a Eastern Box Turlte, just without melanin. Do you think albino people are genetic disorders you would treat or think of differently? I'm not saying albinos are better, coolest turtle ever is just my opinon, but not seeing the beauty of that animal is something I can't understand. Albinos survive in the wild all the time. I have several that were caught as adults and seem to be stronger than normal animals of the same species. I don't know, maybe you could explain a little more. Thanks!

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I think you had said a friend found this one in one of their pens, were there any other clutch mates found?

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Gerards said:
What does that mean exactly? It's a Eastern Box Turlte, just without melanin. Do you think albino people are genetic disorders you would treat or think of differently? I'm not saying albinos are better, coolest turtle ever is just my opinon, but not seeing the beauty of that animal is something I can't understand. Albinos survive in the wild all the time. I have several that were caught as adults and seem to be stronger than normal animals of the same species. I don't know, maybe you could explain a little more. Thanks!

Not being able to produce pigmentation is considered disadvantageous. I am surprised to hear that you have caught so many albino animals in the wild, because lack of pigmentation makes it harder to camouflage, and therefore harder to hide from predators or remain hidden from prey.

From a clinical standpoint, we know that albino people always have vision problems to one degree or another, and can become blind. In addition, not having pigmentation makes the skin more vulnerable to solar radiation. This makes albino people more susceptible to sunburn and skin cancer. The same could apply to animals.

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
They're found as adults in the wild all the time, twice so far since spring, and that's just the ones I have bought. I haven't had any albino have or develop eye problems from the sun and I have hundreds of them living outside all year long. I see EBT's on here all the time that blow mind with their colors, this guys just another color version of the same awesome turtle. It doesn't act different or require anything different, UVB, temp gradients, hides, humidity gradients, food, and water. So with that in mind, whats different and why do some people think that about them? Is it just from misinformation or because of their devil eyes? Lol! I hope you don't take offense to my response, it's just something I wonder about, and is not directed at you. Thanks!

Adult male Albino Mississippi Mud I got a couple weeks ago. This guy is completely perfect, not a scratch and destroyed MAZURI the first time I offered it to him.
2e0b5d9d75be8b2cdfb5c36cded39fed.jpg

yagyujubei said:
I think you had said a friend found this one in one of their pens, were there any other clutch mates found?

No, just this little guy.

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Once again I feel a tickle of envy while looking at your pics! Regardless of the health/hardiness implications of such genetic "defects", I find them super interesting and beautiful. Which is a good thing in my case. I, myself, am very unusual looking. I have a huge brown birthmark covering 25% of my body. I'm literally split right down the middle, the upper left side being my chocolate side . I'm special and I love it! :) :)

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
diaboliqueturtle said:
Once again I feel a tickle of envy while looking at your pics! Regardless of the health/hardiness implications of such genetic "defects", I find them super interesting and beautiful. Which is a good thing in my case. I, myself, am very unusual looking. I have a huge brown birthmark covering 25% of my body. I'm literally split right down the middle, the upper left side being my chocolate side . I'm special and I love it! :) :)

Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I get the impression that you might like this little turtle, no?

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Wow, I never saw an albino turtle or tortoise! Very interesting and beautiful.

Diabolique, is this a true birthmark, or do you know if you are a chimera? (Possessing 2 sets of DNA)

Ann from CT

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yep a very cool turtle.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
He's cute! Considering red eyes usually creep me out a bit :p

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Gerards said:
They're found as adults in the wild all the time, twice so far since spring, and that's just the ones I have bought.

Bear in mind, Florida doesn't have as many predators as it used to, such as raccoons, foxes, wolves, bears, pumas, and lions. With fewer carnivores around, a prey animal can get away with being more visible.

Gerards said:
I haven't had any albino have or develop eye problems from the sun and I have hundreds of them living outside all year long.

I am glad to hear that, although that still leaves the issue of sunburn and skin cancer. There needs to be more long-term research on non-human albinos.

Gerards said:
I see EBT's on here all the time that blow mind with their colors, this guys just another color version of the same awesome turtle. It doesn't act different or require anything different, UVB, temp gradients, hides, humidity gradients, food, and water. So with that in mind, whats different and why do some people think that about them? Is it just from misinformation or because of their devil eyes? Lol! I hope you don't take offense to my response, it's just something I wonder about, and is not directed at you. Thanks!

It's mostly the potential health problems. I'm not bothered by "devil eyes," although I do prefer wildtype colors over amelanistic sports. Anyway, I hope your pets stay healthy. :)

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Florida has MORE predators than ever! Raccoon populations are out of control around urban areas. Coyotes are established in every county except for Monroe and Bear/Panther populations are GROWING. Have you ever been to Florida?

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Gerards said:
They're found as adults in the wild all the time, twice so far since spring, and that's just the ones I have bought.

Bear in mind, Florida doesn't have as many predators as it used to, such as raccoons, foxes, wolves, bears, pumas, and lions. With fewer carnivores around, a prey animal can get away with being more visible.

Gerards said:
I haven't had any albino have or develop eye problems from the sun and I have hundreds of them living outside all year long.

I am glad to hear that, although that still leaves the issue of sunburn and skin cancer. There needs to be more long-term research on non-human albinos.

Gerards said:
I see EBT's on here all the time that blow mind with their colors, this guys just another color version of the same awesome turtle. It doesn't act different or require anything different, UVB, temp gradients, hides, humidity gradients, food, and water. So with that in mind, whats different and why do some people think that about them? Is it just from misinformation or because of their devil eyes? Lol! I hope you don't take offense to my response, it's just something I wonder about, and is not directed at you. Thanks!

It's mostly the potential health problems. I'm not bothered by "devil eyes," although I do prefer wildtype colors over amelanistic sports. Anyway, I hope your pets stay healthy. :)

My goody friend produced the first albinos in 1982 and has still had no problems like the ones you're concerned about. They get old and act just like every other turtle does with age.
I don't see how they would get sun burned, actually, they do not get sunburned. As for cancer, I haven't seen it or heard of it happening. Also, I don't have any albinos from florida other than softshells, the rest come from all over the world. There are a ton of predators here, don't believe what you read, trust your eyes. Thanks for your responses!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
EricIvins said:
Florida has MORE predators than ever! Raccoon populations are out of control around urban areas. Coyotes are established in every county except for Monroe and Bear/Panther populations are GROWING. Have you ever been to Florida?

Lived in Florida for 8 years. Yes, raccoons are pretty common. As for pumas and bears, their populations may be growing, but they're still small. Coyotes are more common now, but bobcats are on the decline and gray wolves are gone. Jaguars and lions have been extinct there for thousands of years. Gator populations have recovered, but gators are still excluded from urban areas. With a population of some 19 million people, there's less room for large wild animals.

Gerards said:
Also, I don't have any albinos from florida other than softshells, the rest come from all over the world. There are a ton of predators here, don't believe what you read, trust your eyes. Thanks for your responses!

Most of the rest of the US is missing its large carnivores, too, so maybe there's not much selection pressure against albinism in North America anymore.

In caves, same species of fish and crustacean lose their pigmentation and eyes, because they no longer need them down there. But out here in the open, amelanism is quite rare. I figure there must be a good reason for that, so that's why I don't prefer it in my pets.

Status
Not open for further replies.