Cooling a Sulcata??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Well the heat seems to much for my Sulcatas lately..They don't leave the shed until 5-6pm when it starts to cool down...But I would like ideas on how to cool down the shed.. Which reaches 101-102*F... (I need to have it stay secure as in the evening we have a lot of predators here.. ) I have cut windows into it on all sides.. And have covered them with heavy stainless screen...still doesn't help.. Was thinking a few fans... But not sure if it will cool them off??

Thoughts opinions..

Is 101-102 in the shade to hot for sulcatas?? Will a fans cool them?

Thanks in advance..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
A pic would help. What size sulcata are we talking about?

Fans, misters and more shade are your most obvious options. Do misters work in FL since the air is already so wet? They work great here because it is so dry and we get lots of evaporative cooling.

And yes triple digits is too high for them. Once it starts getting into the high 90's they usually go underground or take steps to cool off, like a mud wallow or a nice shady area under a dense bush.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
If you go to Home Depot and get those window fans that can suck air in or exhaust air out, this can help you control it, put it on exhaust and maybe you can blow hot air out, or one window have a fan sucking out and on the other side sucking air in to create airflow. Also misters. Sprinklers. Or a window ac unit.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I have a mist system.... I havent set it up as i thought adding water to that heat would create to much humidty...I will set it up tomorrow... And try the fans...They have a large 4ftx6ft 3" deep pan in there full of fresh water but they don't go into it..

Status
Not open for further replies.