Fan recommendations for outdoor enclosure

SatchelMonster

10 Year Member!
We have an inkbird temperature probe with heating/cooling outlets in Satchel’s house. We haven’t used the cooling feature but this summer is dang hot!! Does anyone have a fan they like and could recommend? I’ve looked at desk fans, computer fans, and greenhouse exhaust fans and can’t decide so would love to hear people’s opinions! His house is 8x8’ 3’ tall and has windows front and back for ventilation.

Here is Satchel in his summer “pond.” He turns 15 this fall and was 130 lbs last weigh in two years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_0623.jpeg
    IMG_0623.jpeg
    456.7 KB · Views: 6

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I used a small fan in my night houses for about a week to attempt to cool them down and they didn't change the temperature much. If at all. They just blew around the hot air.
I think that fans mounted up high that would pull the hot air out and draw air in from outside might do better than just circulation like I had. But I mounted mine the way I did to keep the electric motors out of the rain.
Please show us what you end up trying and tell us if you had better luck.
It sounds like your tortoise....And probably your tortoise houses are 10 times larger than mine

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
You are looking for an exhaust fan. Don't have a specific brand just that you would need a plug in model and to cut a hole to install it up high.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Maybe post a pic of the enclosure so we gave a better idea where you want it
I use a ceiling fan in my tortoise shed but for winter only. It pushes the rising heat back to tort level. In summer it's off as there is not much ventilation/ windows and they are outside. I use sprinklers or misters to cool them down when it's really hot.
When it's really hot, a fan just pushed hot air around, not cooling anything.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Use a thermometer to double check this, but fans only work on humans because we sweat. Evaporative cooling on the skin. Torts don't sweat, so a fan is just going to blow the same hot air on them unless you are blowing it through a wet membrane like a swamp cooler. An exhaust fan used on a hot summer day will just suck in hot air from outside.

My insulated boxes stay coolest with no air movement at all in them. On a 110 degree day that boxes stay around 88-90.

SatchelMonster

10 Year Member!
Use a thermometer to double check this, but fans only work on humans because we sweat. Evaporative cooling on the skin. Torts don't sweat, so a fan is just going to blow the same hot air on them unless you are blowing it through a wet membrane like a swamp cooler. An exhaust fan used on a hot summer day will just suck in hot air from outside.

My insulated boxes stay coolest with no air movement at all in them. On a 110 degree day that boxes stay around 88-90.
Good point. I may need to look into better insulation. His house a bit cooler than outside but not by that much. I have plans to redo his roof in the fall and will add more insulation.