New Casa del Tortuga is done!!!!! 16x20 feet!

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Pic heavy!!
The entire summer I've been working on this new tortoise house! It's finally done and housing everything that does not hibernate with room to spare! My motivation for this was either add on to my house to reclaim the room the torts took or get them outside! It was much cheaper to get them outside!

Some details: 16x20 feet, 2 4x8 windows, 1 2x2 window and 2 peak windows, work sink, electrical, fan, heater, outlets everywhere, work table, and finally a storage cabinet.

Each pen has between 6-8 inches of soil mixture appropriate to the species. Weekly I turn the mixture and moisten as needed. Pens are various sizes, depending on need. All have access to water dishes but as we all know they stay clean for approximately 12 seconds! All have lighting and 'sub-temps' as they require.

Floor level: I house the big Redfoots, an egg laying box (they have used it twice already), juvi Greek Iberas, and EBTs.

Mid level: Juvi Redfoots, EBTs

Top level: hatchling EBTs and Iberas from this summer

Attachments

• building 1.jpg
    building 1.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 457
  • building 2.jpg
    building 2.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 445
  • floor 1.jpg
    floor 1.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 391
  • floor 2.jpg
    floor 2.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 404
  • floor 3.jpg
    floor 3.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 365
  • mid level 1.jpg
    mid level 1.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 376
  • mid level pen 2.jpg
    mid level pen 2.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 404
  • top level.jpg
    top level.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 397
  • top level 1.jpg
    top level 1.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 381

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Nice build. I like the added art work. Does each tortoise that is on the floor have access to go outside should they choose too? Also, how big is each section on the floor? I'm sure it's the pics, but they look small. Also, where are you located? I imagine some place that stays pretty warm with all those large windows.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
wellington said:
Nice build. I like the added art work. Does each tortoise that is on the floor have access to go outside should they choose too? Also, how big is each section on the floor? I'm sure it's the pics, but they look small. Also, where are you located? I imagine some place that stays pretty warm with all those large windows.

Thanks. The floor pens are 48x48 inches and house one tort each. First two are for the male Redfoots, separated and the third is for a lone Sulcata that I've been rehabbing for two years. The juvi pens are 16 inches wide by 48 long.

This casa is meant for winter housing. In the summer all will be outside in much more spacious pens. I did not build indoor/outdoor access yet. Maybe in the Spring.

I'm in Eastern Washington and we are just getting into Fall/Winter. Tonights low is 29F. I installed the large windows because I wanted them to feel a sense of natural light. During the warm days I can crack the windows and turn on the fan to circulate the air.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Wow, Casa Tortuga and your web/FB sites are amazing.
48"x48" is a great size for a winter enclosure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, it was just the pics. Let us know how it goes heating it if you will. I had just built a shed this past summer and added only two small windows. I would have liked more natural sunlight but thought it would be too hard to keep warm in the winter. Our nights haven't gotten down into the thirties here yet, but I'm sure it won't be long. Again, great job.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
SUPER DUPER ~ Very nice build ! ..... I myself use the "loft" setups within the various huts. <GMTA> :D

I too would like to know how your heating goes....For myself , this year to try and save and costs ( my elec bill from Oct to Feb is about 400 bucks)The Hypo/Rf hut was insulated when I built it , but the converted play house was not …So , I finally insulated the Cherry house and just this past two weeks night-time temps have dropped considerably to the 40's ,but did notice the shed being much warmer than usual . So now finding the right combo of heating elements to adjust. Also this year trying setting timers on a different schedule with 30 min "cool off" periods for the equipment itself. Speaking of that although not a "Sparky" but a licensed general contractor...be careful with those "thin " lead wires to the lamps. I noticed many of them plugged into the outlet. While the Hut/House outlet might handle the load and not trip the breaker, those "lamp cords" will get very hot! Many of them close together on a plastic "multi connector" is asking for trouble . It can cause two things ..the connector to melt or the cords melting and shorting out and worst of all start a fire! So ....one way to resolve this is to re-wire the fixture. It's very easy to do , you can buy a short ext cord (heavy 14awg…12awg is better…the smaller the number the “thicker the wire” ) snip one end off ( the right one - ;) ) and directly wire it to the ceramic base after removing the original lamp cord it came with . I only mention this as a helpful idea as I myself have had close calls with even knowing better and too lazy at the time to switch the “store bought” cords that came with the lamps to the ones mentioned above. Great job and happy Tort~n

JD

theresal

5 Year Member
Terrytown,LA
Therese,
Your build is great! I love that each of your bigger tortoises has its own space for winter. That makes a lot less chance of someone flipping due to overcrowding. And now you have room for rescues even in winter. That's awesome! Whenever you are ready to visit New Orleans, you can come help design my dream tort house. Thanks for sharing your build and all the pics too.
Theresa

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Really fantastic! It shows how much time, work, thought and yes even love you put into it for your tortoises. *huge pat on the back*

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
That's awesome!! I'm so jealous! And I'm sure my tort would be too if he could read!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Pokeymeg said:
That's awesome!! I'm so jealous! And I'm sure my tort would be too if he could read!

That is why one must always be careful to not have the computer sitting where your tortoises can see the screen... or to leave the computer, while the tortoise forum is open on it. :p :D

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Beautiful! I am not worthy! *bowing at feet* :D