Corn!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoopaNGoomba

5 Year Member
Hey guys,

So, my roommate gave my tortoises corn today. Just a tiny bit... the 1.5 year old had a small spoon full and the 17lbs guy had about a table spoon. I know it is bad for them, she has strict instructions to NEVER FEED THEM AGAIN. I am soooo paranoid that it is going to ferment in their stomachs like the tortoisetable website says it can. What can I do to make sure they digest it quickly and get on with their healthy lives?

Gah, having roomies is a new thing for me. Certainly a learning experience.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
while corn is not an ideal food, in small amounts it is not harmful, and I have never heard of it fermenting in a tortoise's intestine. don't worry it will pass fine, with no problems.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Come closer...closer still... oops ignore the bad breath, okay? I feed some of my tortoises corn on the cob a few times during the year. :p "Back in the old days" I feed it quite often. Now you read how bad it is for them. My thought is like most things, feed as an occasional limited treat along with their normal wide variety of diet and if the tortoises are healthy, active, and hydrated, I can't see the real threat. Now I would not be wanting to feed it to an animal going into hibernation. There I could may be see the fermenting... of course nothing should be left in their stomaches then any how. :rolleyes: I feed it on the cob, because it gives them a bit more of a challenge and works those beaks at the same time. :cool:

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
It's not going to do any harm whatsoever. I agree with the Captain and Jacqui above that it probably shouldn't be part of their regular diet. But an occasional feeding will do no harm. I've been feeding all of my tortoises of all ages corn since I've had them with no negative effects.

As far as the fermenting "debate" goes, any vegetable could be the subject depending upon conditions, including pumpkin, squashes and most definitely fruits. Under normal activity levels fermenting should not be an issue.

KoopaNGoomba

5 Year Member
Haha okay I will cease panicking now then! They're both very active and it was eaten along with a bunch of hay and greens so I didn't think it would be a big deal, but some stuff online freaked me out so I thought I'd make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.