1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Zilla and Shelldon not gaining weight...

Discussion in 'Sulcata tortoises' started by Turningstar, Jul 20, 2018.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Turningstar

Turningstar Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Florida
    Weve had them for approximately 3 weeks or so. I weighed them on 7/6 and they were 62 and 65 grams. I just weighed them after a short soak and they were 62 and 63 grams.

They eat escarole, some romaine and collard greens occasionally, weeds and grass, mazuri pellets and I just started giving them grassland pellets from tortoise supply. They get calcium powder and I put reptivite on their food once or twice since I got it last week.
    They get outside time a couple hours a day and a good 20 minute soak every day (except yesterday, I forgot). Their ambient temp during the day is 82-92 in the heat of the day, night never goes below 82. Basking spot is 100-104 usually, measured with 3 different temp probes and a Fluke ir gun. All within a couple degrees of eachother. I check temps constantly. Humidity stays around 85%.
    They are still together in the tortoise box (dont yell at me!:)) but Im trying desperately to finish their new enclosure. 3 little kids, constant rain, and shoulder surgery have really slowed me down. Im scrambling to get it done and painted so they can move in in the next week or so. Then they will be separated.

Am I being overly paranoid? I see them eating and walking around and plenty of pooping going on. Their eyes are open and clear. No noises or bubbles coming from their noses or mouths. Should I do something different (other than hurry my butt up on their enclosure)?

Also...... I reread the care sheet from the breeder I got them from. It stated that they do well with 30-50% humidity, should never have a water bowl, and are started with mazuri pellets and frozen mixed veggies(corn,lima beans,peas,carrots). That concerns me. No wonder all they would eat when they came was romaine! They wouldnt touch grass or weeds, and still dont eat much of them!
  2. Hutsie B

Hutsie B Active Member 5 Year Member

NC
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    It sounds like all is fine, they don't necessarily gain weight fast so don't worry too much. just my opinion, there are more knowledgeable people on this list.
  3. Turningstar

Turningstar Member

Florida
    Woohoo, we finally have substantial weight gain!!
    They were 68 and 69 grams today!
    EllieMay likes this.
  4. Mizcreant

Mizcreant Well-Known Member Tortoise Club

Cincinnati, OH
    YAY! Give it time.... they will take off like a rocket. Mine gained almost 20 grams in the past 2 weeks. Then again, mine's a little pig.
  5. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club

Southern California
    Glad to see this improvement. You definitely bought from the wrong source. You'll know better next time, and hopefully these two will work out okay.
  6. EllieMay

EllieMay Well-Known Member

East Texas
    Hallelujah!!! I was sure hoping for y’all!!
  7. Turningstar

Turningstar Member

Florida
    I guess its one step forward,another step back. I weighed them today after soaking, and they both LOST a gram or two. Ive even been giving them free choice to all kinds of food the last few days to see if they would gain more, thinking maybe I wasnt feeding enough, even though they always have food.
    Im so frustrated. 2 months and theyve only gained a couple grams....
  8. EllieMay

EllieMay Well-Known Member

East Texas
    I’m so sorry.... and you’ve built such a nice enclosure.. are you sure your scale is accurate? I’m sure pulling for your babies! Prayers for them both.
    Mizcreant likes this.